Clear all

Journeyman Smith Presentation Knife Question

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hi Guys, 

I just had a clarification question,  I have been working on my presentation knives since the beginning of the year and two of the three I have very close to completion I made using some W2.   With that I took the time to polish out the hamon and did a typical etch and polish cycle at the end.    Looking at a ton of pictures from past presentation sets, I have seen a bunch of hamons in different sets.    I had a fellow smith post on a picture of one that I had on Instagram that he didn't think we were allowed to etch blades for the presentation set,  which had me starting to freak out a bit. 

I have since then talked to a couple of friends that recently passed their Journeyman Smith tests, didn't this that it was an issue.  One was Thad Stager, who also suggested that maybe I add a post on the forums here to help maybe get the clarification where others can see as well. 

Thanks for any insight!

Josh Wisor 

Posted : 11/03/2022 3:36 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I submitted last year and had a Hamon on one of my knives. It is allowed.

The prohibition is on laminated, or pattern welded materials in blades or fittings

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 11/03/2022 4:20 pm
Joshua Wisor reacted
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Yes, etching may be a problem.  Heavy etching has created issues in the judging in the past and thus, while it is not forbidden, it is also not recommended.  If you use an etch with the hamon, be sure to only apply it enough to accentuate the hamon without going overboard with a heavily grayed or mottled surface.   I personally believe that dark gray FeCl revealed hamons are not the way to go, and I don't like them, but my personal feelings are left at the door of the judging room.   But heavy etching is one of those violations of the K.I.S.S. principle of JS/MS judging and opens up one more avenue to possible failure if not done right.

I would say to apply the etch just enough to leave the hamon highlighted after the etch is polished back off.  in this way the hamon is the feature that you are volunteering to be judged on and not the etch. But if the etch is such a prominent aspect of the finish that we have to judge it as such, it had better be done really well, as we will judge it on its own merits, regardless of the hamon. 

I hope this helps in clarifying the issue.      

Posted : 11/03/2022 5:06 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Just to piggyback on Kevin's input...  ANYTHING that is on/included in any knife presented for judging.... whether at the JS or MS level means you are willing to have that aspect judged.   For example, if you etch the blade, the quality of they etch, and anything that results from it's application is judged.    If you put a flute on a guard.... that is judged.   Carving or texturing a handle or guard......  that is judged.

Whatever you do, I would advise against trying to impress the judges.  I have seen that attempted time and time again, and very often the individual tries to do something that is beyond their abilities, does it poorly, and it ends up causing a failure.  You must remember that those judging are all Mastersmiths... and there is likely nothing you can try/do, that they haven't.   What I tell individuals who are seeking advice for testing.....  Make all of your presentation knives, super simple, and super clean....that impress more than anything else. 😉 

Posted : 14/03/2022 9:48 am
Topic starter

Thank you Kevin, for the for the response.  That is helpful, I typically on do very quick dips 10 secs of so just to help pop the Hamon out, followed by more polishing.   

Very soon, I plan to have Burt Foster critique the work I have done so far as well to make sure I am on the right track - I will bring it up to him also.

Thanks Again

Posted : 14/03/2022 9:52 am
Topic starter

Thanks Ed, I appreciated the feedback.  I do keep telling myself "to keep it simple"!  I have been struggling not necessarily striving to impress, just personally feeling if it is enough - but I guess that is part of the process and, having some peer reviews done by others will help in that process. 

Thanks agian!

Posted : 14/03/2022 10:05 am
Share: