Notifications
Clear all

JS Performance Knife Width Dimension Question

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I assume the attached design would meet the JS Performance maximum 2" width specification. Thanks for the clarification.

[email protected]

Posted : 08/05/2021 1:34 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Maximum Blade width of 2" is correct. 

Posted : 09/05/2021 12:22 am
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Hi Jesse,

I Like your design, it almost looks like a Parang, or even a filipino blade.

I hope you won't mind, but I'd like to offer an insight based on my own experience with the JS performance test. The first time I tested, my blade looked a lot like yours: a modified competition style chopper with the weight in the front. It was a beautiful blade. It absolutely breezed through the chopping, slicing and shaving portion of the testing! Not so much the bending part. With so much mass at the tip, you're not doing yourself any favors. There's a good reason why a lot of smiths choose a blade design that tapers towards the point. It really makes the bend test SO much easier.

And don't try to out think the material choice: 10xx steel is your best option. I used 80crv2 my first time, and I regretted it. Even though I was extremely careful with my heat treat process, using all the recommended best practices, I couldn't beat chemistry. Chromium, vanadium, manganese: all bad for bending. Again, 10xx steel is your best option.

I hope this helps.

-E

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 10/05/2021 9:03 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks to Kevin for confirming my assumption that the knife width is measured perpendicular to the spine. Thank you Evan, for including your experience. You are correct. The chopping aspect of the performance test is/was my greatest concern. Your point about the additional material to be bent can't be ignored. Did you use a lever for your bend test(s)?

[email protected]

Posted : 10/05/2021 6:17 pm
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

@jesse-hackenberg Yes. I used a short length of 2"pvc pipe. Maybe I could've done it freehanded if i had a better setup? But as it was, I almost flipped my overbuilt and HEAVY workbench with all the torque I was putting on it. And that was WITH a distally tapered and pointy blade. 

I made two identical blades: one to practice with, one to use in my JS performance test. Here's a video of the bend test on the first one:

https://fb.watch/5sW0XFJjjz/

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 13/05/2021 9:52 am
Share: