Notifications
Clear all

Looking for Master Smith in Europe

10 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Anetta Ameryk
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hi Guys,

Is there any place where I can check Master Smiths in Europe?

I know about three of them in France and Belgium, but anyone closer to central Europe (Germany, Czech, Austria, Sweden,...)?

Is there any list of Master Smiths by name and country?

Thanks for any information,

Anetta

Posted : 29/04/2022 5:27 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Anetta, 

Currently they only European Mastersmiths with an active membership that I can find in the site database are:

Veronique Laurent- Belgium

Jean Louis Regel- France

Jean-Paul Thevenot- France 

Posted : 29/04/2022 6:42 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Anetta. There is a journeyman smith in Bavaria, Derrick Wulf. He is a very accomplished maker.

Brion

Posted : 29/04/2022 8:40 pm
Anetta Ameryk
Topic starter

Thank you very much. I am a fresh ABS member and just finish ABS course in Heavin Forge, so I have still at least two years before performance test. By that time may be there will be more Masters in Europe. May be Derric Wulf...

Thanks again,

Anetta

Posted : 30/04/2022 3:37 pm
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi Anetta, I do hope that I'm able to achieve the rank of Mastersmith within the next few years, but if not you may also be able to arrange a performance test with a Mastersmith visiting Europe for a knife show. In two weeks, for example, Canadian Mastersmith Christoph Deringer will be in Solingen, Germany for the "Knife 2022" show, where he and I will both be exhibiting. The SICAC and FICX shows in Paris, typically held each September, have also often had Mastersmiths in attendance. 

In the meantime please feel free to call or email me if there's anything I might be able to help you with. Fellow ABS members are always welcome in my shop.

Posted : 01/05/2022 10:00 am
Anetta Ameryk
Topic starter

Thank you very much for information and invitation 🙂

Anetta

Posted : 01/05/2022 4:12 pm
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Posted by: @krcashenabs

Hello Anetta, 

Currently they only European Mastersmiths with an active membership that I can find in the site database are:

Veronique Laurent- Belgium

Jean Louis Regel- France

Jean-Paul Thevenot- France 

Sorry, Kevin... Sam Lurquin is not in this list? 😶

Posted : 22/06/2022 1:53 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Thank you so much Pablo for pointing that out. I need to examine the database and see why Sam did not come up on that list and correct it.

Posted : 23/06/2022 9:35 am
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Pablo, 

After an exhaustive search of the database records and reaching out to the ABS office for membership records, it would appear that Sam Lurquin has chosen not to renew his ABS membership for a couple of years, and thus is not included on the lists of rated smiths or members.  

Posted : 23/06/2022 11:52 am
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Thank you, Kevin.

Posted : 23/06/2022 5:14 pm
Share: