Notifications
Clear all

Stainless Canister

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey all,

A quick question. I've got some 3" X 1/4" flat bar of 303 (if I remember correctly) it's not hardenable in the least. Other than the stainless properties, it acts like mild steel. My question is, since stainless in general doesn't stick worth a dang in forge welds, If I make a canister out of this flat bar, would it potentially release relatively easy from the billet?

Just brainstorming here..you know how that can go, either a breakthrough or disaster, LOL

Thanks for any help.

Posted : 18/07/2018 12:54 am
Karl B. Andersen

Chad - stainless sticks just fine in forge welds.

When it doesn't do well is in a open environment with flux.

Where it does forge weld fine is in an oxygen free environment - like in a canister!!

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 18/07/2018 7:26 am
Topic starter

Ahh..thank Karl.

I did have some stick fairly well in a san mai...I was just thinking that if the can was made from it, and the interior surfaces weren't good and clean that it might peel a little easier...I might be over thinking it. That's how my mind wanders when I'm at the grinder.

Posted : 18/07/2018 12:24 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Ahh..thank Karl.

I did have some stick fairly well in a san mai...I was just thinking that if the can was made from it, and the interior surfaces weren't good and clean that it might peel a little easier...I might be over thinking it. That's how my mind wanders when I'm at the grinder.

It might peel off the canister easy - but it may very well weld to the billet and then you have the same problem.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 18/07/2018 3:56 pm
Joshua States

I have heard some smits coat the inside of a mild steel canister with White Out to act as a release. I haven't tried this, but I have heard it works really well.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/07/2018 10:54 pm
Share: