Notifications
Clear all

Type Of Flux To Use

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

For as long as I've been doing layered Damascus I've always used 20 mule team borax and have had perty good luck. I've been using mostly 1095 and 15n20 for steel. I have a propane forge and a guy told me that 20 mile team works better for coal forges. Wondering if there is better flux out there to save a little time. (Only trouble I've been having is a couple layers not welding together only on the edge. Wonder if that's from over using my press on the initial forge weld.)

Thanks!

Posted : 07/05/2019 2:59 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I have been making Damascus - a while. I have always used, and still use, Mule.

Weld failures are seldom the result of materials. Weld failures are ALMOST always completely human error.

There is a lot more to successful welds than steel type and flux.

Keep using your Mule and just get more consistent with your process.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 07/05/2019 5:50 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Jerrin,

Keep in mind that forge welding is mostly heat control and that a press welds from the inside out while a hammer welds from the outside in.

Also a good habit to get into is to do an initial weld with light, fast squeezes then reheat and weld again with more substantial squeezes.

Posted : 07/05/2019 7:31 pm
Joshua States

I do mostly fluxless welding these days, but when I used flux, I used this: https://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FWF

I still use it from time to time and have never had a failure, whether I used the press or the power hammer. I would check your press dies for flatness and consistent contact across the faces in all directions. It sounds like they may have worn down a bit and aren't pressing that edge in the first pass or two. This would allow that borax to get in the space and cause a weld flaw.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 08/05/2019 12:32 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I used 20 Mule Team for a long time and never had a problem except for the mess. The past half dozen billets made I started using kerosene and there is no mess. For each weld I start cold with a well cleaned (ground) billet cut, stacked and tacked then as the forge comes up to heat it soaks in a paint can of kerosene. If you are using a press to set the weld do light squeezes not big mashes at least for the first set. I mostly use a power hammer to set the weld before pressing. Find a method you can repeat that works and stick with it.

Posted : 10/05/2019 7:50 am
Joshua States

|quoted:

I used 20 Mule Team for a long time and never had a problem except for the mess. The past half dozen billets made I started using kerosene and there is no mess. For each weld I start cold with a well cleaned (ground) billet cut, stacked and tacked then as the forge comes up to heat it soaks in a paint can of kerosene. If you are using a press to set the weld do light squeezes not big mashes at least for the first set. I mostly use a power hammer to set the weld before pressing. Find a method you can repeat that works and stick with it.

I wanted to try the kerosene, but it's not terribly easy to find. Then someone (maybe Mike Q?) told me to use diesel fuel. So now I have a 5-gallon bucket of #2 diesel from the local Shell station. After I get done tacking the billet ends and welding the billet to the handle, I put the billet in the diesel while it is still warm from the welding. It sits in the diesel long enough for me to light the forge and get the press set up. Then it goes directly into the forge. My first three welding passes are full length and full width (6"x2") It doesn't compress very much at all with that much surface area. After three welding presses, I start with 1/8 inch compressions on a 2x2 area overlapping presses by about 1/4". Alternate the billet top and bottom between heats. I get about 4 compressions per heat. After 2 or 3 rounds per side, it's pretty well fused and ready for drawing/patterning/etc.

A quick note about the diesel fuel: Only use the kind at the local gas station for autos and light trucks. Do not use what is referred to as Agricultural diesel fuel. That has some sort of dye in it that will bugger the weld every time.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 10/05/2019 10:54 pm
Topic starter

Thanks everyone! You have have been reasuring!

Posted : 13/05/2019 2:32 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

|quoted:

I wanted to try the kerosene, but it's not terribly easy to find.

Some of the hardware stores in my area carry it, both in can and a tank outside for refills.

While Twenty mule team works just as good, I use anhydrous borax because it tidier. Without the ten water molecules, it doesn't puff up.

Posted : 06/06/2019 12:06 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Only a single mention of Anhydrous Borax?? Been using that for years. I find it far superior to 20 mule team. It's really just plain borax with the moisture removed. You can find it at either ceramic supply stores, or mining supply stores. I buy it in 100lb bags....and that much usually last me a 2-3 years.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 10/08/2020 11:14 am
Share: