Clear all

A Question About Questions

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Kale Cope
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

This might not be the best place to put this but this is my first post, and first time looking at the forum

I'll save the introductory stuff for another forum, so this can be short and sweet. I feel like I'm still on the first chapter of a book in the worlds biggest library. So many things to learn here, much of it that solves a current problem, but I don't think I could possibly take in all of it. But at the same time, there are so many things that I would like to know, that I'm just not sure how to ask. It's questions about technique mostly. I know that I really need someone to teach this to me in person, but that just isn't an option right now. I also feel like, at times, that I just need to know everything about a subject, but I can't ask questions I don't know enough about a subject to ask.

So in the shortest way possible: How do I ask questions that really should be answered in a shop, or questions I simply don't know how to ask at all?

Posted : 19/11/2022 1:19 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hey Kale. I think everybody starting out feels that way. So much to learn and take in. I would say ask whatever question you have. There are no bad questions. See if you can find a bladesmith close to you and ask them if you can visit their shop. I know there are some good ones in North Texas.  Also the ABS has a hammer in twice a year in Texarkana at the Bill Moran school. The hammer ins have demos and classes and are a wealth of information. They take place over a weekend, Saturday and half a day Sunday. The next one is in April 2023. Also you can check out the online course from the Bill Moran School.  It is an excellent intro course and they are having a special sale right now. WWW.learnbladesmithing.com.

Basically that is what we are here for, ask any question that comes to your mind. Everything from what hammer do you recommend to more technical areas.

Brion

Posted : 19/11/2022 9:32 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Kale, welcome to the madness! 😀 

Believe it or not, if you are a beginning bladesmith right now, you have a very big advantage over guys who started a decade or more ago. When I started back in 2005 there was nothing like what you have available today.

In addition to the suggestions Brion made, there are books and vides: Products – American Bladesmith Society

There are more videos: https://www.youtube.com/@americanbladesmith

And there is this forum where the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Seriously, you should post your work here, and don't wait until it's done before you ask that question about the next step. Dig around in the forum and you will find tons of info on just about anything.

Using the Google search will help a lot. Type: 
Search https://www.americanbladesmith.org/community/ +"whatever you want to know" into the search bar. You will find more posts than you can imagine.

For example, I typed: Search https://www.americanbladesmith.org/community/ +"hand finish" into the Google search bar and found 347 posts on this forum. Give it a try.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 20/11/2022 12:56 am
Share: