Apprentice Pictures

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Apprentice Pictures

136 Posts
66 Users
9 Likes
15.2 K Views
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Number three in the books. Blade actually came out how I drew it before I started forging, so that's a positive. Bolster slid down the handle during glue up, and I didn't notice. Palm swell may be a little too far back. But overall, feels comfortable. 

Posted : 21/10/2021 11:01 am
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I Just joined ABS this month. I built a gas forge & a 2X72 grinder the summer of 2020. The summer of 2021 was my 1st attempt of making blades. The attached pictures are of a wakizashi forged of 5160 steel; with copper furniture that I made from old copper pipe.

Posted : 14/12/2021 11:41 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi all, here is a photo of my latest, a 9” chefs knife with purpleheart handle scales and brass pins. The blade was forged from a rather large coil spring I found in a McDonalds parking lot of all places. Hopefully the new owner of this one will use it to make something a bit healthier.

Posted : 20/03/2022 10:39 am

Recent Knife I made(Gift for my Sister). I think this is my 12th Knife ever. 11.75" long, 2.125" wide Blade, India Rosewood scales, nickel pins. First real attempt at handsanding, I need to make some sanding blocks to say the least, and more grit varieties. This was forged from a bar of 5160, 1.5" wide bar stock. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Daniel Kagarise

Posted : 06/07/2022 12:44 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

A few things from the last 6 months.

https://imgur.com/a/OnyKCKd

Edit: I think I got the link worked out.

Posted : 06/07/2022 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to apologize now, I've never used a forum and I am fairly horrible when it comes to most things involving the internet. With that stated, I can't figure out how to post more than one photo at a time so I'll be doing some quick succession show and tell style posts. (9 Knives in 8 photos)

This (like all my blades) is made from 1084, it was the first attempt forging a blade and seemed fitting to be the first to get finished. Its has a forged mild steel guard, I tried hot punching it but that was less than successful. The handle is made from reclaimed oak and treated with boiled linseed oil and wax.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Michael Bell

Posted : 22/09/2022 9:13 am

My early knives were forged as part of the Intro class at NESM last October (2021). For my second finished knife I did a purely stock removal approach on the guard (1/4" mild steel) and improved upon my handle shaping as best I could. The handle is from the same piece of reclaimed oak as my first knife and was given as a gift to my brother.

Posted : 22/09/2022 9:27 am

This is my first attempt at a chef knife, 1084 with a micarta bolster, olivewood handle and a thin copper spacer. After I passed this on to my friend, this picture, with the clearly visible sanding zones on the blade and the rectangular bolster and handle shape, really began to bother me. I plan on getting this knife back for some touch up work in the coming months.

Posted : 22/09/2022 9:36 am

This is a pair of "His and Her's" hunting knives. They would be the 4th and 5th knives I'd ever completed and the first full tang knives I had put handles on. The handle materials are kirinite with vulcanized paper liners and copper pins. The larger knife was forged with a specific large handed individual in mind, he loved it so much he got the regular one for his girlfriend.

Posted : 22/09/2022 9:51 am

Knife #6: Nessmuk Skinner, the S-guard was forged from mild steel then heat blued. The handle is Padauk with a copper pin, it is comfortable but I don't find it entirely aesthetically pleasing.

Posted : 22/09/2022 10:00 am

This clip point hunter was made during the Intermediate class at NESM April 2022 and marked my 7th completed knife. It has a stainless steel guard and stabilized walnut burl handle. The handle is a little on the heavy side but I find it comfortable and I was never planning on giving away/selling it.

Posted : 22/09/2022 10:07 am

This offset pairing knife was forged prior to my intermediate class and finished after. It wasn't planned out in the least and was more of a blow off steam kind of forging.

The handle is mahogany with a stainless steel bolster and copper spacer. This was my first knife finished in my home shop, start to finish.

Posted : 22/09/2022 10:12 am

Finally #9: Second knife completely in my own shop. Another clip point hunter, a lot less flare in the handle due to material constraints. The guard is stainless steel and brass, transitioning into a stained curly maple handle. 

Again, my apologies for not being able to figure out how to post more efficiently.

M. Bell

Posted : 22/09/2022 10:21 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Some of my work

3rd Knife - first attempt at stabilizing wood

4th knife - tried my hand at casting pine cone scales

5th knife - going bigger 

6th knife - experiment with everything. casting copper mesh scales 

7th knife - custom order using customers antler. First attempt at a damascus Cu Mai.

Honest Critiques welcome.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 18/10/2022 1:40 pm

First "finished" blade, second blade overall. 

Posted : 09/01/2023 3:30 am
Page 8 / 10
Share: