Clear all

Handle Mock-Ups?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello Everyone!

New member here, and this is my first post. I did some searching and didn't find much, so I hope this isn't a redundant question. What do you recommend for doing handle mock-ups (particularly for hidden tangs)? A random hunk of 2x4? I saw one post where someone was talking about using clay over a length of dowel, and I thought that sounded pretty interesting. Are there any other tricks out there? Thank you very much for any thoughts on the subject.

~Micah

Posted : 22/03/2021 2:36 pm

I use paper to give me the angles I need. I have patterns cut and match them to the blade, then to my block of wood. That way you know if you are going to need to bend you tang, up or down to center the handle. I hope this helps.

Posted : 22/03/2021 3:01 pm
Chris Young

I use thick cardboard and then 1/4" craft plywood to mock-up prototypes. Using layers I can make an internal frame for the tang with the middle layer and stick them together with contact cement

Posted : 22/03/2021 3:04 pm
Joshua States

I'm not really sure what you are asking. What would be the purpose of the "mock up"? Is it to test for size, fit, shape etc.? Is it to use as a template to create similar or identical handles over time?

Generally speaking, I start with a design drawing and everything gets made from that drawing. I do have several templates for blades and handles that I have made from those drawings, specifically so I can recreate a blade or handle again. I have templates for guards, spacers, even sheaths.

What would be the purpose of this mock up?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 22/03/2021 10:44 pm
Topic starter

Sorry, I should have been more clear. By "mock-up" I mean making a 3 dimensional, full sized handle that I can hold or hand to someone else so they can say "Yes, this feels good" or "No, it feels too small/large/uncomfortable". Maybe Test Handle would be a better way to put it.

Posted : 23/03/2021 5:34 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, I really dig this idea!

~Micah

|quoted:

I use thick cardboard and then 1/4" craft plywood to mock-up prototypes. Using layers I can make an internal frame for the tang with the middle layer and stick them together with contact cement

Posted : 23/03/2021 5:35 pm
Share: