Notifications
Clear all

Corona Virus And Blade 2020

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

Was wondering if there could be more clarity regarding Atlanta Blade 2020 in relation to travel restrictions placed because of the Coronavirus?

Traveling from abroad, flights have to be booked accommodation arranged and spending a great deal of money to attend with no guarantee of refunds. I would like to know if anyone can give clarity on this matter.

Thank you

Posted : 13/03/2020 2:04 am
Karl B. Andersen

I assume the lack of response here is because no one knows. It's impossible to predict where this will end.

Just yesterday I was about to leave for a three day canoe symposium/trade show. A really huge three day event. It's every bit equal in size and scope to the Blade Show.

The event was to open today at noon - just like in Atlanta.

It was cancelled last night.

ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! of the vendors were in town, had driven from all parts of the country and Canada with all their wares for a three day show and it was cancelled HOURS before the opening bell.

Very unsettling for so many people.

I use this as an example.

The show was not closed because of the promoter of the show. It was cancelled by the owners of the venue. And I could see this happening in Atlanta.

Regardless of how much WE may want things to remain the same, Renaissance Waverly may have a different idea and not inform us until just before The Blade Show.

I wish I knew about Atlanta. I really do.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 13/03/2020 7:34 am
Kevin R. Cashen

We have heard nothing yet from Blade, it is quite a way's out yet and could be on the other side of the worst of it when we get there, if it is not, like Karl said, it may not be the Bladeshow folks who make that call. I have been working around the clock to get ready for the Badger Knife club show, and this morning it was cancelled. The ABS, due to the facilities where they are at, has had to cancel a hammer-in and an Intro class and most other events in the next few weeks are in flux right now.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 13/03/2020 11:21 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I assume the lack of response here is because no one knows. It's impossible to predict where this will end.

Just yesterday I was about to leave for a three day canoe symposium/trade show. A really huge three day event. It's every bit equal in size and scope to the Blade Show.

The event was to open today at noon - just like in Atlanta.

It was cancelled last night.

ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! of the vendors were in town, had driven from all parts of the country and Canada with all their wares for a three day show and it was cancelled HOURS before the opening bell.

Very unsettling for so many people.

I use this as an example.

The show was not closed because of the promoter of the show. It was cancelled by the owners of the venue. And I could see this happening in Atlanta.

Regardless of how much WE may want things to remain the same, Renaissance Waverly may have a different idea and not inform us until just before The Blade Show.

I wish I knew about Atlanta. I really do.

Posted : 13/03/2020 4:40 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Karl and Kevin, I’m a bit star struck that specifically the two of you responded. (Secretly I stalk you both 😂)Thank you.

I have 81 days left for my JS presentation knives, so I am taking the plunge and hope to see you both at Blade 2020.

Blessings to you your families during this stressful time.

Posted : 13/03/2020 4:53 pm
BrionTomberlin

As for Blade I have not heard or seen that they are postponing it. It may not be there decision as a number of cities are telling people to cancel or postpone meetings or gatherings of 250 people or more. I do know that the ICCE show in Fort Worth was just postponed. We will wait and see what three months bring.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 13/03/2020 9:30 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

As for Blade I have not heard or seen that they are postponing it. It may not be there decision as a number of cities are telling people to cancel or postpone meetings or gatherings of 250 people or more. I do know that the ICCE show in Fort Worth was just postponed. We will wait and see what three months bring.

Brion

Thank you Brion, much appreciated I will continue my preparations as per normal.

Blessings sir

Posted : 14/03/2020 12:56 am

|quoted:

Hello,

Was wondering if there could be more clarity regarding Atlanta Blade 2020 in relation to travel restrictions placed because of the Coronavirus?

Traveling from abroad, flights have to be booked accommodation arranged and spending a great deal of money to attend with no guarantee of refunds. I would like to know if anyone can give clarity on this matter.

Thank you

Read the post about the Blade Show event that is pinned at the top. You can read an update there. There was recently an e-mail sent out to those who have registered tables. They have not made a decision on whether the show will be cancelled or postponed.

Posted : 25/03/2020 4:46 pm
Karl B. Andersen

In my opinion, if the show was postponed, the attendance of both vendors and public would be pitiful.If the show is cancelled - which I will bet $10.00 it will be - I feel the attendance next year might be Biblical!

The latest communication,"Upon further discussion with all our partners, we feel moving the date back three weeks will put more strain on exhibitors and attendees in regards to flight changes, hotel reservation changes, etc.

Please note, prior to sending out the date change scenario survey, we had already inquired about Show dates in later months, and the Cobb Galleria has nothing available.

Within the next couple of weeks, we will make a final decision on whether we host the show on its regularly scheduled dates or cancel completely."

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 26/03/2020 7:42 am
BrionTomberlin

I am with you Karl. As you said if they move it back a few weeks the attendance would be horrible. It is going to take a long while to get things back up and functioning near normal. I am not taking that bet Karl. I think we will not have a Blade Show until next year.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 26/03/2020 11:05 am
Share: