Notifications
Clear all

Forging 52100

20 Posts
10 Users
2 Likes

|quoted:

Check out what I got 130lbs of 52100. Ive got to make a few sets of tongs to get this broke down.

I like welding a rebar handle on my heavy stock. It seems to not beat me up as bad when smashing it.

Posted : 15/04/2020 10:49 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Train springs are 52100 correct? 

Posted : 15/06/2021 1:19 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Not sure where you got that idea, or what you are referring to as a Train spring.  If you mean clips used to mount track, I think that is very unlikely (more likely 60 point of carbon or less).  If you mean the helical coil springs used to support train carriages, I would think it to be rather unlikely as well.  Scrap stock that is more typically 52100 would be ball bearings and bearing races.

Posted : 08/07/2021 4:56 pm
Miguel Angel

@wrought-iron-farm 

No, lo mas probable es que sea acero 5160 o 9260, el mismo de los resortes de vehiculos.

Saludos desde Puerto Montt, Chile.

Mi guel Angel Sanhueza Lang.
Cuchillos Artesanales Yensen
https: //www.instagra..._custom_knives/
https: //www.facebook...100006937380193
Puerto Montt
Chile

Posted : 08/07/2021 11:46 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

One of the things that makes 52100 great for forging is the Cr content, which among other things is a built in grain size controller. This means that forging at "normal" or industrial forging temps as Kevin put it, is actually less of a concern in regard to grain size than some other steels.

While Parks 50 isn't necessary for 52100, as also stated above, that alone shouldn't result in cracks if everything else is good. I think one of the biggest contributors to cracking post quench is quenching the blade down to ambient temp of the oil instead of removing it after getting safely down past the "pearlite nose". (I don't know if you do this or not) I gauge this by watching the surface of the blade upon exiting the quench: some smoke is ok, but it shouldn't be hot enough to "evaporate" the oil from the steels it should remain wet looking. If I remember, I learned this from Kevin too... The blade can then air cool at a slower rate during the most stressful stage of the process. It also gives you that window of time for straightening, of course.

The only other possibility I can think of is an unknown discrepancy in your temps between your salt pot and kiln, but this seems somewhat unlikely... I hope you get it figured out, 52100 is a great steel.

PS. I'm still waiting for Kevin's 52100 DVD, hint hint 😀

Posted : 04/05/2022 11:50 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: