Notifications
Clear all

How I've Been Forging Chefs Lately

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter

This is how Ive been forging my chefs lately. I've noticed I can forge the same chef style at least 5 different ways and still get the shape it want. Maybe that's a good thing or maybe it's because I'm indecisive on the best way to go about it.

I try to forge as closely as possible and only touch up the profile on the grinder. I use my power hammer for working into barstock and a flatter at the very end. Everything else is by hand only.

Attached files

Posted : 25/09/2019 6:27 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Mak - I need you to re-size the photos in your post.

According to forum guidelines, " For images within posts there are image posting size rules in effect to keep the image uploads at 1,000 x 1,000 pixels or less and under 500k in file size."

I have also sent you a personal message.

Karl Andersen - Moderator

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 26/09/2019 7:39 am
Lin Rhea

That sounds like a reasonable approach to establishing a process. Is that 1 inch round you're starting with?

It's good to try different steps and adjustments to see their affect on the over all process as well as how it affects the end piece. Once you see for yourself the affect it has, you will know from then on whether or not you need to use it on any project even if it's not a blade.

I say this having made other objects. I have seen that some objects absolutely require you to use specific intensity of heat or certain tool or technique in order to achieve that step in the process. A blade is fairly simple to forge as long as you get the material in a reasonable starting geometry as you did when you forged from round to rectangle.

Very nice forging.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 27/09/2019 9:06 am
Share: