Clear all

[Sticky] Editing Photos For The Internet-By Steve Culver Ms

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

The attached tutorial provides information on how to edit photos for any application on the internet; whether it be posting to forum threads, uploading to your web site or attaching to emails. It begins with an explanation of why photos must be edited for the internet, followed by a photo editing demonstration. Also provided is an explanation of how to check the size of your photos after loading them to the internet.

At the bottom of the tutorial is an expanded explanation of the ABS Forum Guidelines for posting photographs in the ABS Forum. Please make sure that you understand the size limits on each type of image before loading your photos to the forum.

If you need help with editing your photos or with loading them to the forum, do not hesitate to contact the Forum Moderators for assistance.

Steve Culver - Moderator

Bryon Tomberlin - Moderator

Kevin Cashen - ABS Forum Administrator and Moderator

Editing Photos for the Web ABS.pdf

I am quoting this tutorial by Steve Culver MS from the Forum News because I feel it is important enough to double up on here.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 26/01/2019 1:15 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I am messaging personally new members about their photos almost daily.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 27/01/2019 8:27 am
Karl B. Andersen

In the ABS Board Guidelines: "For images within posts there are image posting size rules in effect to keep the image uploads at 1,000 x 1,000 pixels or less and under 500k in file size and for Galleryimages keep the image uploads at 600x480 pixels or less and under 50k in file size."

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 27/01/2019 8:33 am
Joshua States

I hope nobody minds if I throw my two cents in this thread. It occurred to me that there are a lot of people who do not have a desktop computer and only use their phone. So I decided to try posting some pics directly from my phone using webresizer.com and another photo editing site, pixlr.com. the latter is my go to site for editing pics. Pixlr unlike webresizer, has a phone app. So it is slightly friendlier to the phone-only user.

Webresizer is easy enough to use on your phone, but if you want to save the resized photo, it stores it in your regular photo folder, so you have to search through the folder to find the right one. Pixlr saves your resized photo to a separate folder on your phone so it is slightly easier to retrieve when posting.

Here are two identical pictures. The original was taken with my phone and is 2.53MB and way too large for this forum. It also takes forever to upload a photo that size to FB, IG, etc. Using these two online (and free) websites, I easily reduced the photo without loosing any quality.

First up is the webresizer version

Next is the Pixlr version

I came back on my desktop to check the photos. The Pixlr photo is slightly larger than the other one too.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/01/2019 10:37 pm
Share: