Notifications
Clear all

A piece of an old friend

1 Posts
1 Users
2 Likes
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Let me tell you a story. The man that Made this knife was a friend and a bed rock of the north east knife community. He was someone I met over 20 years ago in the very beginning of my knife making career. In fact it was probably sometime in 1995 or 96  that I first met him. We were not especially close he was not a mentor or anything in fact I only saw him once or twice a year at shows. He is also not some one I am likely to forget. His name was Al Longworth. A  long time maker from RI. I met Al at one of the first shows I ever did, I was Set Up next to him and he treated Me Not Like the stupid punk kid I was (looking back I had truly awful knives and probably a huge ego)  but rather welcomed me as a fellow maker. Al was a true gentleman He always had a kind word for me and often good advice. Over the years I would see Al at shows and would Make it a Point to to stop by say hello and chat for a min, to Listen to him tell me how he was old and didn't want to work hard any more ..(sitting in back of a table full of mirror polished knives IN HIS 80S!!!) A few years back he stopped doing shows he was around 90 at that point and I thought to my self I should call and buy a knife I never got to it , then Al passed away.  I regretted Never buying one of his knives. His work was. classic old school  and never changed ground from ats34 mirror polished nickel silver fittings, volcanized paper spacers handles of exotic woods and antler.

I picked this knife of his up over the weekend at the NCCA Marlborough show. 

It is a well made knife but nothing really special, good geometry nice edge, comfortable handle , nice sheath, nothing amazing  But it is a reminder of my friend. A reminder to be a gentleman to those newer makers that now set up next to me. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T73B5Q2hvALJKQLL9

I have a piece of Al now. RIP AL Longworth 

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Matthew Parkinson

Posted : 15/11/2021 9:38 pm
Share: