Notifications
Clear all

New Knife Project

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hi all, I am new to ABS and I have been practicing forging for a bit using mild steel and coil springs, but I am looking to start a new knife project and want to start with a better piece of steel.  I was wondering if there are any reliable resources for the benefits of different types of steel that I could use for a knife project.  Thanks for any advice!

Posted : 30/03/2022 3:30 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Edward, 

Do you have any more specific criteria for the steel?  For forging a blade, and heat treatment with simpler setups such as a forge, it will be very hard to beat, 1075, 1080 and 1084.  They will produce a very fine blade for both a beginner and a seasoned Master. These steels are the closest to the old steels that were worked with forges for centuries.  With every bit of added alloying beyond carbon, things get more complicated, requiring more advanced skills and equipment. 

Posted : 30/03/2022 4:31 pm
Topic starter

Hi Kevin, thanks for your response.  My forge set up is a simple gas forge and I will be hand working the steel.  I want to be able to harden the steel and I want to produce a very nice blade.  My intent is to give it as a gift.  Just to clarify, 1075, 1080 and 1084 will be very hard to beat or they will work well with my set up? 

Posted : 31/03/2022 10:10 am
Topic starter

Please ignore my last response.  I miss read your message.  Thank you for advice

Posted : 31/03/2022 4:00 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Old truck leaf springs (5160) is a great free (or very cheap) high carbon steel that's very predictable and easy to work with. Look up a local spring shop and ask for their end cuts. I get virgin 5160 for $0.29 cents a pound , or 100 bucks for all my dually can hold . Makes a great blade and fun to play with for new ideas.

cheers

Nathan

Posted : 03/04/2022 2:26 am
Topic starter

Hi Nathan,  thats a great idea!  Thanks for the advice!!

Posted : 12/04/2022 10:37 am
Share: