Clear all

Parkerizing - order of operations

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Fellow smiths -

I am getting ready to delve into parkerizing some blades - have just not been happy with the durability of cold blue, FeCl or other forced patinas.

My question is a simple "when".  My process is normally to fully finish (including convex and final edge) a blade before I move onto the handle.  When do others do the parkerization?  I don't want my entire convex to be shiny steel if the blade is parkerized.  Is it OK to parkerize with final edge and then just re-set the cutting edge after?

Basic question I know, but I can't find this specific answer on this or any other blade forum.  Thanks!

Steve Shipley

Apex, NC

Posted : 18/09/2022 12:57 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

I do a considerable amount of Parkerizing. Also, nearly 100% of my knives are take-down. Even the full tang knives utilize screws on the scales, so all of my knives are fully finished BEFORE they get Parked.

I finish grind the blade - after tempering - to the point where all I need to do is the final sharpening.

After I finish building the knife I disassemble it, Parkerize it, re-assemble and then final sharpening.

[img] [/img]

Posted : 19/09/2022 7:26 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks, Karl - just the info I needed.  All my parkerizing chemicals are on the way to my house, can't wait to run the first few blades through and see the results I get!

Steve

Posted : 19/09/2022 11:43 am
Share: