Notifications
Clear all

Which Foredom rotary tool to buy?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I'm looking to buy a Foredom rotary tool, but I'm not sure which model or hand piece. I like the Lx model because of some of the extra attachments that are available. Looking to use it to do file work on the spines of knives and various handle materials. Is this going to do what I want or is this a waste of money?

Posted : 29/01/2023 1:30 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Don. I would recommend the SR series, which is reversible. Comes in handy. For general work the H30 handpiece is great. With the right burrs it will do fine on spine work and a ton of other things. I do not consider a foredom a waste of money at all. They are great tools and much better than a Dremel. Mine is over twenty years old and still going strong. I use it on every knife.

Brion

Posted : 29/01/2023 9:28 pm
Topic starter

Thank You

Posted : 30/01/2023 8:32 am
Topic starter

Brion, which burrs do I want  the carbide or the diamond?

Posted : 30/01/2023 1:50 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Posted by: DON FARR

Looking to use it to do file work on the spines of knives and various handle materials.

I do a bit of file work, and never have I considered using a rotary tool for it. The process goes fast enough with a good set of files and is easier to control. So, I use files for file work, just saying.....

My rotary tool does get a fair bit of use for polishing pins and plunge cuts, hollowing out the backs of handle scales, adding texture to small pieces, and most recently, for carving in solid handles.

I think I got the H43 handpiece with three different sizes of collet. I also have a hammer handpiece for peening and texturing.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 30/01/2023 7:16 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

I would just get the diamond burr set to start Don. They work fine and the set has different diameters. I get my sets from RioGrande jewelry supply. A cratex rubberized abrasive kit comes in handy too.

Brion

Posted : 30/01/2023 9:14 pm
Share: