Notifications
Clear all

Apprentice Touchmark?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Howdy!

I am newly an ABS apprentice. I have some tools and skills in metal wood and leatherworking and some formal training in silver and blacksmithing but only recently got a forge set up and got serious about bladesmithing. I’m trying all kinds of construction methods, forge welding, exotic and common materials- having a ball. So far I made and sold enough basic knives and fancy sheaths to pay for a decent 2x72 and a small press.

I have been using a simple touchmark hot stamp I carved and hardened, just a lowercase “r.” to add a personal touch and to sign my work. My nickname since high school is Radar. Not sure if I’m going to continue that theme- there’s already a Cunningham knives and he makes nice stuff.

While I haven’t sold anything I wasn’t proud of or sure of its durability and aesthetics I am trying to start a new chapter in my bladesmithing with an emphasis on fit and finish, practice, and learning.

I have a long way to go and my current attempts at beautiful work are more like sketches compared to even a decent journyman set. I’m going to keep working and try to take my time more and more as I attempt to master the basic skills emphasized by the ABS exemplified by the journeyman test and set. I’m confident I will be ready in three years and excited for the journey.

As I take this next step I feel it’s time for a new touchmark. I’m not sure if I will carve a hot stamp or have one made or design an electro etch- whatever I do I will sign my work and my mark will show the period of my learning and evolution as a bladesmith. I know my knives are crap compared to where I want my skills to be but I am still proud of each one and the hours of my time and effort they represent.

Sorry to be so long winded- if you’re still with me I appreciate it- here’s my question- does anybody include an “A.S.” Or cursive “as” for apprentice smith in their touchmark? I realize that the apprentice smith level only shows that you have a credit card with over a $60 limit but I’m proud of my association and would like to have the skills and put in the effort to attain the “js” when I’m eligable! It would be neat to commemorate and look back and see my efforts at the apprentice level from the next few years.

Any comments or thoughts are much appreciated!

Kevin

Posted : 13/03/2021 3:29 pm
Karl B. Andersen

My thoughts are this - put on your knives whatever you want. They're your knives.

But as a minimum - use your name so the knife can be identified with you. Who knows - maybe you're the world's next greatest knife maker!! Some day in the future folks may want to identify your knives and it would be tough with just an initial.

Use your name.

As far as the AS/JS/MS - since I got my JS, I've etched it on all my knives. I know all those before were made by an apprentice.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 14/03/2021 8:03 am
Topic starter

Thanks Karl

I would really like to write Cunningham on my knives. I’ll have to figure a way to distinguish mine from any other cunningham touchmark or add a first initial or something.

Posted : 14/03/2021 9:42 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Thanks Karl

I would really like to write Cunningham on my knives. I’ll have to figure a way to distinguish mine from any other cunningham touchmark or add a first initial or something.

I just got off the phone with Gary Cunningham in NC. Brief conversation but he seems like a helluva nice guy. I told him I wanted to write Cunningham on my knives but that I wanted to be respectful so nobody would mistake my junk for one of his. Also that I admire and am inspired by his work and his talent but that I’m working hard and I’m comin’ for him! (Ha! We had a good laugh)

He said he’s been rocking the same font on his touchmarks forever and wished me luck. I’m sure I’ll find some cranky jerks and pompous you know whats eventually but I’ve met only the best people so far in the knife and smithing world (hand crafts in general actually).

I’m looking forward to more interaction on these forums and hopefully getting to meet more of y’all in person.

Kevin

Posted : 14/03/2021 8:45 pm
Joshua States

If you decide to go with the electro-etch method (my preference) you can get the stencil made with any font and you could always add where you live under the name. I have seen some makers do that. It would distinguish you from Gary (unless you both live in NC)

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 14/03/2021 11:56 pm

Your touchmark will probably change during the course of your knifemaking, so I wouldn't get too hung up on getting it right straight off the bat. Your logo should at least be google-able, so your name is probably the best bet.

Posted : 17/03/2021 5:46 pm
Share: