Hidden tang handle grinding

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Camille Sennegon
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

Has some peoples, i have more ease making full tangs than hidden tangs handles.

That's exactly why i push myself at making more hidden tangs,

I don't know if it is something psychogical or not, but grinding a block of wood and getting a nearly perfect symetrie is way harder for me than doing it on scales.

I know that a tang give me some sort of reference lines, but since i have a heigh gage and measurements equipement and considering that i scribe reference lines, and that i center everything,  there should'nt be any big differences in the process.

Of course i understand the principles of learning, i need to practice a lot to achieve a certain skills and then doing it quicker, but i wanted to know if some of you had some "shortcut tips" to share that may help doing things a little faster, i'm not a full time bladesmith and the smallest amount of time that i win in the shop is precious.

My method is as follows:

First i scribe a center line on my handle block in place in the blade, i put the ricasso on a 123 block, find the center of it and scribe all alonf the wood.

I then scribe one line on each sides of the handle to ensure that they are all parralels and the same distances from the center line.

Finally i start grinding the curves on my flat platten, and using different small wheels. Refining the grains

and finally filling and hand sanding, i have trained my eyes pretty well at seing unevenness, but grinding them is not the same story. 

I order some j-flex belts, i'll see if it helps.

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Camille Sennegon

Posted : 27/02/2022 7:16 am
Topic Tags
Camille Sennegon
Topic starter

more pictures

Posted : 27/02/2022 7:27 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

When you have some time, go to the midway point of this video and see if it helps you any:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le2lsloX_3E&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le2lsloX_3E&t=1s

Posted : 27/02/2022 8:06 am
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

My method is as follows:

First i scribe a center line on my handle block in place in the blade, i put the ricasso on a 123 block, find the center of it and scribe all alonf the wood.

I then scribe one line on each sides of the handle to ensure that they are all parralels and the same distances from the center line.

Finally i start grinding the curves on my flat platten, and using different small wheels. Refining the grains

and finally filling and hand sanding, i have trained my eyes pretty well at seing unevenness, but grinding them is not the same story. 

Good process and very similar to how I do it. I would suggest a couple of ideas. 

Add as many parallel lines as you can.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/02/2022 11:54 pm
Joshua C States

Second idea, you may already do, but I grind the handle off the blade and glue it together after the handle is completely finished.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 28/02/2022 11:57 pm
Joshua C States

My process in photos. Any questions, please ask.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13UHEqxGNg016aUAusKCe_l8ObQpxiMTF?usp=sharing

Posted : 01/03/2022 12:02 am
Camille Sennegon
Topic starter

Thank you for your response. 

Thanks carl for taking the time to make videos for the bladesmith out there in my situation.

It's much appreciated.

Joshua, i do grind the guard and handle separatly. 

I might try to scribe more lines, the hard part for me is really to make every rounded parts symetrical. Since at that stage there are no more references except the ricasso and my heigh gage to check how much material have been removed from each sides.

I finished the knife tonight, it might be my tourth or fifth finished hidden tang.

80crv2, cocobolo and 316L stainless

PS: i know that the plunge is too far back, still wanted to finish the blade anyway

Posted : 02/03/2022 6:00 pm
Camille Sennegon
Topic starter

another picture

Posted : 02/03/2022 6:01 pm
Share: