Notifications
Clear all

Brownell's Acraglass Problem - White Epoxy When Cured

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I have been using Brownell's Acraglass for the past 7 years and have never had an issue. About a month ago I ordered a 120 oz. of the resin. I did not order the hardener as I had enough on hand to cover the resin order. Last weekend I glued up a few handle scales and noticed that the squeeze out was not the typical clear amber color I am so familiar with. Instead the cured epoxy is white as though a coloring agent was added. I did not see a color change when mixing it but the small pot i mixed the material in was also white. I called Brownell's support and technical assistance to try to find out what was going on. I got no where with support but they did explain they were aware of the situation. The support person did tell me that they have known about this for some time and continued to ship the material without notifying customers of the problem. When I talked with the technical staff they said that they do not understand why they are experiencing this issue and have been trying to get it worked out with the supplier but are unsure of what the problem is or when it will be fixed. They have done some internal testing and think it will have the same holding power.

I decided that since they do not know the root cause of the problem and I have no experience with this material should the mixture be something other than the original Acraglass formula, I decided not to use it and told Support I wanted to send it back. They said fine. When I asked if they would pay for the return shipping the support person said they would provide me with a Fedex order by email or they could send it by snail mail.

Yesterday I ordered some of the West System G-Flex epoxy since I know a lot of makers use this material for knife making. I will use this in the mean time until Brownell gets this figured out but I wanted to make the ABS aware of the problem. It may or may not be an issue with holding power but I prefer to work with known material and not one with a white color.

Posted : 01/07/2020 9:04 am
Chad Kennedy
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Thanks for the heads up

Posted : 08/11/2020 10:40 pm
Russ Andrews II
New Member Master Bladesmith

I too have had issues with acraglass, and asked why it is now opaque.  
in the absence of information, I now use G-Flex. When warmed slightly it flows almost as easily as acraglass…

Posted : 21/11/2022 8:12 pm
Share: