Clear all

Parks #50 Quenching Oil Source

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I know that from time to time our members are looking for a source for Parks #50 quenching oil.

I located it and ordered it from Maxim Petrochemical Corporation in Texas. I called them and talked to Carla who took my order and FedEx delivered a 5 gallon pail a few days later.

Below is Carla's very prompt reply email answering me before I called and placed my order:

Dan:

Yes, indeed, we carry the #50 quench oil from Heatbath/Park Metallurgical, and it runs $92.01 per 5 gallon pail, and ship to your location via FedExGround and prepay and add the freight charges. Let us know when you are ready to order, and we will take care of you! We can exchange credit card info over e-mail, or if you prefer you can call us to give us the info more securely.

Carla

Maxim Petrochemical Corporation

P.O.Box 1434

Burleson,Texas 76097

Facility: 208 Shelby Rd.

Fort Worth, Texas

www.maximoil.com

Office: 817-293-4645

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 02/07/2014 1:05 am
Robert Wright

Thanks Dan!

Bob

Posted : 02/07/2014 8:28 am
BrionTomberlin

Thank you Dan. They are about the best source for our needs as bladesmiths. Pleasure to do business with too.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 02/07/2014 11:15 am
Kevin R. Cashen

Parks #50 is a very good product, I have used it longer than most anybody in our business next to Dan Maragni, but it is harder to obtain and thus more pricey than other quenchants, and I would like to let folks know that there are other products out there that are comparable. Maxim oil themselves offer another oil called DT-48 that should work quite well with shallow hardening steels. Also Houghton International is the largest and oldest quenchant supplier in the business and offer a wide range of products, their Houghto-Quench "K" should work very well for the steels that the #50 will do. By all means, people should go to Maxim and support them for offering the hard to find products that they do, but if many feel that Parks #50 is there only option for shallow hardening steels I would like them to know that they do have other selections.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 03/07/2014 8:44 am

i think kelly cupples gets it too.

Tucker Parris

TAPForge.com

Posted : 28/06/2016 6:51 pm
New Member Guest

I just a couple of weeks ago got 5 gallons from Maxum Oil.

Posted : 28/06/2016 9:07 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

As Tucker mentioned, for those who live in the west/northwest, (or anywhere for that matter....if you don't mind the long ship time due to the geographical expanse) Kelly Cupples offers Parks 50. (o

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 29/06/2016 12:38 pm
Share: