Notifications
Clear all

Steel To Build A Tool Rest

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have good 2x72 grinder, but the tool rest is puny, maybe 3 inches wide. I want to get something much bigger, maybe 15-16 inches wide, 1/4 inch thick. What would be an inexpensive way to get a piece of weldable steel of that size?

Thank you!

Posted : 16/09/2019 7:43 pm

Where are you located? I could try a steel yard, a local machine shop, Or the scrap yard

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 16/09/2019 9:54 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Is it a specialized task that requires such a large tool rest? The one on my main grinder is 3" and I grind everything from little capers to 37"+ swords on it. My Hardcore grinder has a tool rest that is 4" wide and I rarely use it because it is too big and thus always in the way of the operations I want to do with it. But the real problem is its depth, it is around 4" deep as well and thus it is good for profiling odd pieces but just way too awkward for grinding bevels.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 17/09/2019 4:30 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Where are you located? I could try a steel yard, a local machine shop, Or the scrap yard

I'm in Berkeley, CA. I can find a couple of places that seem to recycle steel near me, would they also sell it?

Posted : 17/09/2019 5:51 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Is it a specialized task that requires such a large tool rest? The one on my main grinder is 3" and I grind everything from little capers to 37"+ swords on it. My Hardcore grinder has a tool rest that is 4" wide and I rarely use it because it is to big and thus always in the way of the operations I want to do with it. But the real problem is its depth, it is around 4" deep as well and thus it is good for profiling odd pieces but just way too awkward for grinding bevels.

I'm planning to start on a couple of kitchen knives and want to use a jig to grind them, so I need to have at least 4 inches sticking out on both sides of the belt. I'm not so worried about the depth of it, a couple of inches would be fine. Just curious, what do you use a 3" toolrest for on a 37" sword? Just rest your hands on it and just shift the part that you are working on?

Posted : 17/09/2019 5:56 pm
Share: