Notifications
Clear all

New Member from Kokomo, Indiana

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Joshua King
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Greetings everyone!

I'm a network engineer by trade who has recently paired down many hobbies to a few: bladesmithing, woodworking, and cooking. I did this because I'm having my first child (due in June!) and realized I couldn't maintain my hobby collecting lifestyle for much longer. Seems far more sensible to focus in on a few from now on. I specifically chose bladesmithing as one of the three because it helps me to round out my hi-tech lifestyle & career choice.

I have a serious love for sharing my work, and will frequently create YouTube and Instructable tutorials for things I'm excited about. Here is an example of an anvil stand tutorial I completed not too long ago: https://www.instructables.com/Custom-Anvil-Stand-No-Welding-Required/

I'm very new to bladesmithing in general. In fact, I have my first knife (1095 bar stock) ground out and ready for heat treating. 

I don't have a lot of crazy expensive equipment, but I do have the following:

Various tongs, hammers, vices, and top tools I've created from rebar
Whitlox Woodfire Mini Forge w/manual blower
2x72 belt sander
170 Lb Ridgid forged anvil (pic attached)
Acetylene torch kit

I'm certain to annoy you all with lots of questions, picture, videos, and general curiosities. Thanks for having me, and I can't wait to work my way to Journeyman!

Regards,

Joshua King
Apprentice Bladesmith

Posted : 02/02/2022 7:55 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Welcome Joshua!

Posted : 03/02/2022 12:43 am
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome to the ABS and the forum Joshua.

Brion

Posted : 03/02/2022 9:36 pm
Share: