New Member - Houston area

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Casey Henry
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello Everyone,

Casey here. I wanted to give a little background on myself and I look forward to learning as much as I can from the contributors here.

I am currently in the Houston area and I got started in smithing in 2016 after recovering from having both shoulders surgically reconstructed in a 10 month time frame. I had a lot of downtime during recovery and started binge watching FiF, which reminded me that I had bought several bladesmithing books in the past . Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" and Jim Hrisoulas' "The Complete Bladesmith" were the first two I pulled off the shelf. After reading through them, I began putting together a spreadsheet of items I would need to get started on my smithing journey. I bought a propane forge, a RR track anvil, a pair of wolf jaw tongs, and a hardware store hammer and converted my garage into my shop. I've been hooked ever since and have grown my shop equipment to now include an Emerson 200lb traditional anvil, a heat treat oven, and a 12-ton press. Still on propane but adding a coal forge next week.

I've forged a few dozen blades, but only finished a handful (handles and hand sanding are my kryptonite). I'm completely self taught (books and youtube) and figured it was time to start taking this hobby seriously and join the ABS so I can further my knowledge and skills. I also do small ironwork items: hooks, bottle openers, skewers, decorative crosses, BBQ tools, and rounding hammers.

Posted : 01/10/2021 10:57 am
Share: