Notifications
Clear all

New member in Springfield, IL

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello everyone!  Wow, this hobby really sucks you in, doesn't it?  While I've been watching videos for maybe five years now, I've spent the majority of my time invested more into my many other hobbies (homebrewing, beekeeping, sausage making, soapmaking, knitting, 3D printing, and my number 1:  cooking).  But none of those were things I really thought I could transition into something I could earn some half decent money at when I retire from my wood flooring business.  So I decided to get into it hardcore now while I have the money to really invest in the equipment.  I'm building a detached 2 1/2 car garage that will be my shop, I have my forge, anvil, leg vise, and Miller 215 welder - and I have been collecting hand tools.  I just ordered my Ameribrade 2x72, and already have my list of major tools chosen and 'in line' to be purchased.  Next will be the Precision Matthews Mill and then Lathe, then the Coal Ironworks Forge (still debating the model).  Of course, there will be a few other smaller items I'll be adding in the midst of those larger purchases, such as the band saw.  All of this and I haven't even made my first blade yet.  I've been a woodworker all of my life, but have always been fascinated with metal work.  So it's going to be a really fun transition for me.  Luckily, my wife is fully supportive and is looking forward to our traveling around to shows. 

Posted : 25/02/2022 7:17 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Hey Jason! Its nice to see another central IL member. I live in Decatur, been making knives for just at a year now, and joined the ABS about a month ago. I have limited experience, but if you need anything I'm close enough to lend a hand or help however I can. 

-Jesse

Posted : 02/03/2022 2:46 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks!  I live in Springfield, but work most of the time lately in Champaign, so I'm driving through Decatur a couple times a day during the week.  Not much I'll be needing help with at the moment.  I still need to build my garage/shop over here.  Till then I have what tools I have so far all set up in my Dad's shop just east of Urbana, out in the country.  Long way to drive if I want to spend the day in the shop.  hehe

Posted : 06/03/2022 4:03 pm
Share: