Notifications
Clear all

New smith from Phoenix, Az saying hello

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello blade smiths, my name is Tyler Cart. I am a 28 year old beginner knife maker/blade smith from Phoenix, Az with a couple knives under my belt using the stock removal method. I just made my first anvil out of 66 lbs of railroad track gifted to me by a buddy from work with the intent of only forging my blades from this point on.
I work full time as a packaging manager for a medical marijuana grow and do this in my spare time when I’m not doing something with my fiancé. Decided to become a apprentice to aid my journey of learning the art of forging a blade instead of stock removal and want the benefits/ knowledge that the American blade smith society provides.

If there are any smiths that live in Phoenix that would not mind a shadow in the shop for a day I would love to watch and learn. Thank you and have a great day.

Posted : 28/04/2021 8:53 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Welcome Tyler. Where in Phoenix are you? I'm up in New River on the north side. There are a few Phoenicians here. I also recommend checking out Grizzlyiron.com for the open forges. It's a good way to network, learn forging techniques, and they are in downtown Phoenix.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 02/05/2021 10:30 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Welcome Tyler!

Posted : 03/05/2021 11:37 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Welcome Tyler . You might check out classes here https://piehtoolco.com/contents/en-us/d1483.html as well as going to the store and checking out tools. 

Posted : 04/05/2021 9:32 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Also the ABS store has some good stuff "Handles and Guards" is really good I've also found many of the DVDs helpful 

Posted : 04/05/2021 9:44 am
Chris Young

Hello Tyler, and welcome!  I'm also in Phoneix up in the NE Valley.

Posted : 14/06/2021 9:47 am
Share: