Notifications
Clear all

Coffee Etching San Mai/Damascus Yellowing

18 Posts
6 Users
10 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

That is all great info Karl. Thanks! It is cool you have found your own way to weld up San Mai. The billet I just forged out I welded all the way around and forged it all the way out and thinned to about 3/16". When I went to make my knife out of it yesterday I etched it and was surprised to see how far back into the billet the weld went along the edges. I thought I had a nice wide billet, but 3/4" was weld. Next time I will definitely grind my weld of before reducing so much.

Posted : 02/09/2021 9:11 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

Posted by: @shane-atwood

Next time I will definitely grind my weld of before reducing so much.

This is one I just finished.

I will also show how I forged that billet. I band saw cut the tip so as to keep the core in the center.

The tang and ricasso I forge to shape.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that if a smith doesn't forge his San-mai on the bias then he has no idea how good his welds are.

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

Posted : 02/09/2021 2:07 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I don't use cerikote...it doesn't work well for clear coating Damascus.  I use either Gun-Kote, or another product called Molyresin..... just do a google search for either.  I presonally use the satin clear most of the time, however there are some instances I also use gloss clear.   DO NOT buy/try to use the aresol cans, they spary too heavy of an amount.  Get in liquid and use an air brush to apply it.  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 14/03/2023 9:46 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: