Clear all

Laddering A Twist Bar??

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hey there,

How good does a twist pattern look with a ladder pattern pressed into it? I'm sure it has been done but I can't recall ever seeing it. I guess is what I am planning on doing is making a composite bar of crushed W's with a cutting edge of twist. I have not done anything to my W's bar to bring the pattern to the surface yet. My W's bar is 1/2" thick and my twist bar is 1/2" square. I am thinking I will forge weld them together now, then press a ladder pattern into the entire billet which will ladder pattern the W's and the twist. What do you think? Will it look decent?? Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted : 23/01/2022 8:59 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

The laddered twist is an interesting pattern. Mind you that twist patterns vary greatly depending on two variables:

Number of layers and tightness of twist.

These two things can cause significant changes in the pattern. The other thing that changes a twist significantly is depth of grind, also changed by amount of forging to thickness prior to grinding. I think that you proposed idea is a good one, even if it's just an experiment for you to try multi-bar construction.

I have attached a visual representation of how a twist changes with depth of grind.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 24/01/2022 7:07 pm
Joshua C States

Another view of that depth variable

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 24/01/2022 7:08 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

Those are great demo photos!

Posted : 25/01/2022 9:27 am
Topic starter

Posted by: @joshua-c-states

The laddered twist is an interesting pattern. Mind you that twist patterns vary greatly depending on two variables:

Number of layers and tightness of twist.

These two things can cause significant changes in the pattern. The other thing that changes a twist significantly is depth of grind, also changed by amount of forging to thickness prior to grinding. I think that you proposed idea is a good one, even if it's just an experiment for you to try multi-bar construction.

I have attached a visual representation of how a twist changes with depth of grind.

Wow! Those are really cool pics! Thanks for the info! I went ahead and forge welded the billets together. I drew them out a bit and ladder patterned it tonight. I will be cleaning it up to check out the pattern tomorrow. I'll let you know how it looks!

Posted : 26/01/2022 5:14 am
Joshua C States

Go man go for it!

Posted : 26/01/2022 10:13 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

Here is a knife I finished a couple weeks ago. I went to enough effort to create that nice twist that I couldn't imagine laddering it.

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

Posted : 29/01/2022 8:06 am
Topic starter

That is a beautiful twist!

Posted : 01/02/2022 10:49 am
Share: