Notifications
Clear all

Local Decarburization

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

This is the local decarburization caused by oxidation, what method can be remedial?Thank you so much for your guidance。

Attached files

Posted : 30/09/2020 8:33 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Is the decarburization occurring during welding and forging or during heat treatment?

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 01/10/2020 7:24 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Is the decarburization occurring during welding and forging or during heat treatment?

Thank you, Kevin, for the decarburization of the mouth of the furnace during the fish-mouth forging, and my analysis is that the heat can be transferred to this location, and this location is outside the furnace, where there is plenty of oxygen

Posted : 01/10/2020 9:15 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Flux is the best answer for any metal outside of the shielding atmosphere. Also, weld zones tend to decarb rather quickly and recarburize, after welding, much more slowly, allow time, at temperature, to let diffusion occur. I often forge at much higher heats, taking my time to allow homogenization, after I have taken my last weld.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 03/10/2020 9:40 am
Topic starter

Kevin Thank you for your advice, I just bought a high-temperature anti-oxidation paint, ready to brush to the workpiece, in 1150 °C insulation for a period of time, to remedy the position of deep decarbonization.

Posted : 04/10/2020 2:01 am
Share: