A Couple Knives I Recently Finished

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good morning fellow Bladesmiths!

Here are a couple of completed knives I recently finished. Comments and constructive critiques are welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Purpleheart and Black Walnut. Brass spacers and a carved spine. I stamped and dyed the sheath to match.

Brut-de-Forge style hunter. Antler handle and a harpoon clip. Wicked sharp. The sheath is a multi level construction with a snakeskin insert and a stamped liner on all the rough parts of the leather.

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 19/08/2020 8:23 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

I appreciate your material selections. The colors and patterns complement one another well. From my vantage, the fit and finish showcase the materials well. How is the antler handle attached to the harpoon-clipped blade?

[email protected]

Posted : 20/08/2020 4:02 am
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

I appreciate your material selections. The colors and patterns complement one another well. From my vantage, the fit and finish showcase the materials well. How is the antler handle attached to the harpoon-clipped blade?

Hi Jesse, thank you for the kind words. The Tang is bedded tightly in the antler, and then epoxied in with West Marine system 2 part epoxy. That would have been enough to hold it, but I also ran a domed and polished brass pin through the whole thing for a mechanical attachment. That way the epoxy could never come loose. The maple cherry spacers were also epoxied on. The Damascus guard is soldered in place with Stay-Brite. It has a low-temp flow that makes it great for knives, because it reduces the chances of ruining your temper.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 20/08/2020 10:46 am

Very nice Evan!

Posted : 24/08/2020 12:21 pm
Joshua States

That's some nice work Evan. I am not fond of wooden bolsters on full tang knives. I think that first knife would have looked much better with a pair of metal bolsters, even brass ones to match the file worked liners.

The second one is really a classic. That would sell in a heartbeat to the mountain man reenactment crowd. That sheath really pushes it over the top.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 24/08/2020 7:56 pm
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

Very nice Evan!

Thank you!

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 26/08/2020 3:13 pm
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

That's some nice work Evan. I am not fond of wooden bolsters on full tang knives. I think that first knife would have looked much better with a pair of metal bolsters, even brass ones to match the file worked liners.

The second one is really a classic. That would sell in a heartbeat to the mountain man reenactment crowd. That sheath really pushes it over the top.

Thank you for the advice Joshua. And thank you for the compliment on the second knife and sheath too!

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 26/08/2020 3:14 pm
Share: