Notifications
Clear all

Best of 2022?

17 Posts
12 Users
33 Likes
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

This has become a bit of a tradition, asking every one to show their best pieces from the last year, this can be the must successful, a favorite or just something you were happy to have pulled off. 

I have two this year the first is a small bowie I made last spring , this won the Moran award. the inlay I am especially happy with. 

The second is my whiskey sunrise chef knife, this is the first successful example of a new way for me to look at pattern welding, what I have been calling pictorial damascus. This was only a starting point but its still the most successful of my designs thus far.   

MP

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Matthew Parkinson

Posted : 13/01/2023 9:24 am
Topic Tags
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I am happy to carry on this tradition! I did not have an overly productive year in terms of quantity, but here is the last piece I finished. The patternwelded blade steel is 1095/15N20, in my turbulence pattern. The handle scales are desert ironwood, and the small hardware is all .04" niskel-silver. 

https://imgur.com/FvwEkSl

https://imgur.com/dVeCCvZ

https://imgur.com/ZFz7qwm

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 13/01/2023 11:21 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

And I think it's a good tradition.

I can never pick just one. They're all different with varying degrees of complexity and aesthetics.

So I'll toss in a few:

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

Posted : 14/01/2023 8:47 am
Jonathan Caruso
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Happy 2023 to everyone! I consider 2022 to be a successful year with a few first first for me. I set a goal to achieve my Journeyman Smith rating in 2019 when I did my performance test at the Summer Hammer-in at the NESM in Maine. Due to different circumstances it didn’t look like it was going to happen in the two year time frame. Well that time frame got pushed out another year because of the lack of no BladeShow or Hammer-ins, which allowed me to start and finish my JS set and submit! I’m pleased with the results of all of those knives and was blessed with obtaining my JS rating.

Posted : 14/01/2023 9:50 am
Matt K Kirby, Gilbert Mccann, Hank Burns and 3 people reacted
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Posted by: Jonathan Caruso

Happy 2023 to everyone! I consider 2022 to be a successful year with a few first first for me. I set a goal to achieve my Journeyman Smith rating in 2019 when I did my performance test at the Summer Hammer-in at the NESM in Maine. Due to different circumstances it didn’t look like it was going to happen in the two year time frame. Well that time frame got pushed out another year because of the lack of no BladeShow or Hammer-ins, which allowed me to start and finish my JS set and submit! I’m pleased with the results of all of those knives and was blessed with obtaining my JS rating.

Nice looking set! congrats!

MP

Posted : 14/01/2023 12:02 pm
Dennis P Tingle
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Jonathan, beautiful set of knives !! Very well done.

Posted : 14/01/2023 12:03 pm
Thaddeus Stager
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Outstanding work guys!

Here is one from last year that I really enjoyed making[img] [/img]

Koa, wrought and random.

Thaddeus

Posted : 14/01/2023 11:03 pm
Jonathan Caruso, Matt K Kirby, Hank Burns and 1 people reacted
Jonathan Caruso

Thanks 

Posted : 15/01/2023 12:46 am
Jonathan Caruso

Thanks 

Posted : 15/01/2023 12:47 am
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

That is a nice JS set Jonatan. Varied blade and handle shapes. Nice choices of handle materials. Well done!

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 15/01/2023 11:07 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

This is probably my favorite knife I made last year. First attempt at raindrop, an highest layer count I’ve managed so far at 560 alternating 1084/ 15n20 with a zebra wood handle

Posted : 15/01/2023 2:02 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

This would be one of my favorites and most successful.  10" Bowie with a frame handle, stabilize oak, and blued S guard.  Two sheaths for a Scout Carry and and traditional sheath that comes apart for sitting

https://vimeo.com/780080637

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 16/01/2023 3:28 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

My favorite of last year

Posted : 16/01/2023 7:53 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Hi folks, let me show you the knives i made last year that i like most!

This post was modified 1 year ago by Rafael Trentin

Posted : 16/01/2023 11:34 pm
Jeremy Bartlett
Active Member Admin

I didn't get a ton of stuff done in 2022, but here is one I really like. Stag hunter with what I would call a single explosion pattern. 

Posted : 17/01/2023 11:33 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: