Notifications
Clear all

First time using 80crv2 - 10 inch kitchen knife

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

80CRV2, blade 10 inches, handle stabilized curly maple, brass fittings.

First time working with 80crv2. There were a lot of lessons learned on this one. I was really unhappy with a lot of things and spent double the time fixing them.

The etch didn't go well at all. The hamone didn't take. The etching polka-dot pitted the whole blade which I had to clean up. Gave up and just went with 800 grit flat finish. I know 80CRV2 is more of a through-hardening steel. But I've hamoned 5160 before with better results. I assumed 80CRV2 would be similar, but it wasn't. The pin on the brass didn't match the brass of the bolster as well as I hoped, and it shows. That's my fault, something went wrong polishing the pin or pin holes I'm guessing, or maybe pin is not 316 brass, which I thought it was. I was still able to pretty-up but it was something I was disappointed in. And finally... my stabilization on the maple didn't go well. So I had to play games evening out the color as the stabilization didn't fully soak. I usually leave my scales under pressure for at lest 12 hours, then let them soak overnight. But it didn't take fully.

Basically a lot of mistakes that added up to a lot of pain. Fixing things is an awesome learning experience, but at some point I should have just started fresh, as it would have saved me like 8 hours on the build.

80CRV2 seems to finish significantly better than O1 if you're familiar with hand sanding O1, you'll know what I mean.

Balance was pretty good. Basically right on the bolster, but just barely, so it sits really nice with a chef's pinch grip. I was pretty proud of the edge geometry on this one. I put a slight convex on the edge at about 220, then polished with a cork belt, then stropped. It just glides through. Very sharp.

I was hoping the customer would hate it so I could keep it, but no such luck haha.

Feedback much appreciated 🙂

Thanks,

Nick

This topic was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Nicholas Killmeier

Posted : 21/05/2022 3:29 pm
Topic Tags
Topic starter

I can't figure out how to embed the photo in this form :/

This post was modified 2 years ago by Nicholas Killmeier

Posted : 21/05/2022 3:41 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

That's a pretty good lookin' knife, right there. I'd be proud of that.

Don't expect much - if any - hamon on 80CrV.

To imbed photos you need to use a photo sharing host. I use IMGUR.  https://imgur.com/

Posted : 23/05/2022 6:51 am
Topic starter

Much appreciated Karl. I've been following your work for a long time, so the compliment means a lot.

Posted : 23/05/2022 10:24 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

For stabilizing I put under vacuum for at least 24hrs then let sit for at least double that time to soak.  Soft woods seem to need longer soaking times, same with punky wood.

Looks like your perseverance paid off.

Posted : 02/06/2022 4:50 pm
Topic starter

Thank you.

Ya I just did another batch of dozen or so blocks and let them vacuum for 24 hours or so, then soak for 48 hours. Seemed to come out really well.

I don't think I let this one soak long enough.

Posted : 23/06/2022 12:55 pm
Share: