Notifications
Clear all

Newest Damascus Blade

17 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Fresh out of the etch

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 25/10/2021 10:20 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

The other side

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 25/10/2021 10:20 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Nice one Joshua! What type of fittings are going on it?

Brion

Posted : 26/10/2021 8:33 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Posted by: @brion-tomberlin

Nice one Joshua! What type of fittings are going on it?

Brion

It's funny you should ask. This was made as a commission for someone who took a liking to a dagger I made back in 2014/2015. You might remember it from the ICCE show that year. Anyway, the customer asked if I could recreate that dagger for him. We settled on a price and timeframe. As he and I were friends on FB, I have been posting the process pics there for him to watch as I built this piece. Well, I posted the etching video Monday night and tagged him. About 15 minutes later a mutual friend messaged me and told me he had passed away.......

So, I'm open to suggestions on what to build now. I have the blade and it's about 11 inches long from point to shoulders, with a 10:1 L/W ratio. This was first in line for a couple of commissions. So I will sideline it and move the next one up the chain.

Posted : 27/10/2021 9:03 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN

That is unfortunate. May he rest in peace. Maybe for ICCE next year. A ring hilt guard would look nice. Maybe in damascus or darkened bronze.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with, whenever.

Brion

Posted : 28/10/2021 9:14 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

You are the second person to suggest this. I was talking to Matt P. earlier today and he said the same thing. Sounds like a conspiracy!

Posted : 28/10/2021 9:31 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN

I recall someone saying something about great minds. Lol.

Brion

Posted : 29/10/2021 9:19 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

plus ring hilts are just COOL! 🙂 

MP

Posted : 03/11/2021 8:54 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Super cool looking blade!

Posted : 12/11/2021 1:20 am
Joshua C States
Topic starter

So I'm am going to do a Damascus ring hilt using a twisted bar for the guard, spacer package, and pommel. I did the design drawing (very basic at this point) and will fill in the details as I go. I recently purchased a video tutorial on fluted handles by Kyle Royer. I may just give it a go. Here is the design drawing.

Posted : 16/12/2021 9:44 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I decided to fuller the blade.........

Posted : 16/12/2021 9:45 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

As always, comments, feedback, and suggestions are always welcome.

Posted : 16/12/2021 9:56 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

A little design sketch showing some spiral fluting.

Posted : 17/12/2021 5:33 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I sanded the fullers to 320 grit, 

Posted : 19/12/2021 9:10 am
Joshua C States
Topic starter

The other side

Posted : 19/12/2021 9:10 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: