Notifications
Clear all

Ring Guard Bowie

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

This was my first attempt at a Ring Guard Bowie. Made it for my father for his birthday, and I really like the way it turned out. The blade and guard are both forged from 1084. The spacer is brass, and this was the first time I've done any file work on a spacer. The handle material is east indian rosewood, which I really enjoyed working with. I love the rich color of the rosewood and I think it really compliments the stonewash of the 1084. This has to be the best knife I've made so far and I'm definitely seeing my skills progress. The blade was forged so close to shape that it only required very minimal grinding to clean up the profile, which I was super proud of. The guard was the hardest part of the whole build, but the end result was a very nice fit with no gap to the handle. Can't wait to do it again. I've really been wanting to do a coffin handle Bowie so I think I'm going to try that next. Thanks for checking it out.

Posted : 07/11/2022 12:23 pm
Topic starter

Another shot...

Posted : 07/11/2022 12:25 pm
Topic starter

Other side

Posted : 07/11/2022 12:26 pm
Topic starter

Close-up of guard fit up

Posted : 07/11/2022 12:28 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

That is a really cool guard!  Would you mind if I tried a take on it when I make my next bowie?

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 02/12/2022 10:33 am
Topic starter

Thanks...no I don't mind, it's actually my take on one I seen online so it's not even my own original design. 

Posted : 10/12/2022 12:42 pm
Share: