Notifications
Clear all

Scots Dirk

16 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I recently picked up a project I had sitting on the bench and decided to finish it. It isn't done yet, but it's far enough along that I can start sharing the process photos. In looking back, I can't believe that I forged this out almost a year ago.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 08/07/2022 9:30 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

The blade survived the HT and finishing. This will be a through-tang take-down handle so I forged and ground the tang down to make it threaded with 10/24. Here it is at 600 grit. Approximate dimensions are 31,5 cm L, 3,5 cm wide and 4,4 mm thick.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 08/07/2022 9:52 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Making the handle required me to reaquaint myself with the wood lathe. This caused the first try to explode suddenly. The second try got better, but was too long. The thrid try made the grade. Dirk handles are kind of short compared to the typical knife we all know and love. The top portion is typically around 2 inches in diameter on traditional Highland Dirks so it was tricky finding a suitable piece of wood. It's not a traditional Dirk handle wood, but I had a piece of Bubinga that fit the need. This needs more tweaking, but you get the idea. More later.....

Posted : 08/07/2022 9:58 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Casting the pommel cap was another experience laden task.....I forget how many times I tried this. 

I use a sand casting method and will be using bronze casting grain.  First I had to carve a wax model.

Posted : 10/07/2022 9:09 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I've shown the sand casting method in other posts, so I won't load this thread up with more of it. Here is the casting.

Posted : 10/07/2022 9:10 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Here it is after being mostly cleaned, threaded to fit the tang stud, and fit onto the knife

Posted : 10/07/2022 9:11 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

The side view

Posted : 10/07/2022 9:13 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Classic profile on a very classic blade, good luck with your project. 

Posted : 11/07/2022 11:55 am
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Posted by: @krcashenabs

Classic profile on a very classic blade, good luck with your project. 

Thanks Kevin. Now comes the hard part. Dirks typically have carved handles. There is actually a standard knotwork carving that goes around the haunches called "The Dirk Knot" and a typical weave pattern used on the body of the handle. The crown, or pomell area can be carved or left plain. Here is the layout for the carving.

Posted : 18/07/2022 8:34 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Minor progress to report. I got the weave and haunches roughed in over the last few days. This is done with a few wood carving chisels, a couple of pointed gravers, and a very thin knife-edged nedle file #4 cut.

Posted : 03/08/2022 11:29 pm
Adam Reggie reacted
Joshua C States
Topic starter

A side shot

Posted : 03/08/2022 11:30 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I just realized that I had to redo the layout for the weave, but never posted the pic of the second layout. Here it is.

Posted : 04/08/2022 10:59 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I have beveled and sanded the weave and haunch knot. Tomorrow, I will add the grace lines to give it more body.

Posted : 06/08/2022 11:47 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Another photo. 

Posted : 06/08/2022 11:48 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Today I finished the carving.

Posted : 07/08/2022 8:11 pm
Adam Reggie reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: