Notifications
Clear all

Small bits of steel

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Never underestimate what you can do with a piece of scrap.

I'm a member of another knife making forum and every year they have a KITH (Knife in the Hat) challenge. Sometimes I participate and this is one of those years. The project this year was to make a tool that could be used in any aspect of knife or sheath making.

A couple of years ago we had a cubic inch challenge on this forum. For the KITH this year I decided to go even smaller and I dug through my scraps of PW to look for appropriate pieces.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:45 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I also wound up needing a small bit of PW flat stock

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:46 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

I forged the first set into submission

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:47 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

After rough grind (220 grit) and HT

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:47 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Now I needed handles. So a few small bits of quilted maple got turned on the lathe.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:49 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

Finish sanded to 400 grit, etched in ferric, added a maker's mark, and blued.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:51 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

That small flat bit was shaped, sanded, quenched, tempered, sanded again, etched and blued as well.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:53 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

The handles were stained with a light pecan and sealed with Danish oil. The tangs were files a bit and everything was glued up. 

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:54 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

There is a set of three leather working tools.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:55 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

And a set of three wood carving chisels.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:55 pm
Joshua C States
Topic starter

All I have left to do, is sharpen them.

Posted : 18/07/2022 9:56 pm
RAY PIEPER III
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Cool 👍  Thanks for sharing!

Posted : 19/07/2022 9:57 am
Share: