Clear all

Anvil - Threaded Pritchel Hole

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Bobby Best
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Bit of an odd question, but I got the idea of a threaded (or partially threaded) pritchel hole in my head. I couldn't find an example of it, but my google-fu is admittedly weak. 

Was wondering if anyone had seen/done this? Maybe as a secondary pritchel on a larger anvil?

I figure it's one of those things that if I had it I'd find a way to use it, but mostly to justify its existence rather than making life easier. 

Cheers,
Bobby

Posted : 19/05/2022 1:50 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I suppose if you have a specific purpose for threading a pritchel hole, one that will be worth the expense and hassle it would take to achieve..... then I'd say go for it.  The question you have to ask yourself.... Is the input/effort required to do it, worth the end product?   

However, keep in mind that IF you have/try to do this to a quality anvil, you will be dealing with at least a hardened face, making drilling a hole, and/or tapping an existing one, involves a requirement for specialized tools/tooling.   Personally, I'd also be thinking about how I'd be impacting the value of the anvil.    

These days, a large, quality anvil is worth a small fortune....but if it's "modified", it would certainly impact it's value in a negative way. 😉  

Posted : 20/05/2022 8:38 am
Bobby Best reacted
Share: