Notifications
Clear all

Need Help Identifying This

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I purchased this several years ago, brought it home, threw it in a box and forgot about it. Now, all theses years later I found it but have no idea what it is or for. All I remember is that the square section was inserted in the square hole of the anvil and it was used for something in the forging process. I know I can't be the only one with one of these. Old age has finally caught up with me. Any info anyone could provide as to what it is and used for would be greatly appreciated.

Attached files

Posted : 18/03/2021 7:02 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

looks like a spring fuller. Some folks use then to isolate material for the tang (forge in the two shoulders).

MP

Posted : 18/03/2021 9:50 pm
Joshua States

That's exactly what that is. The square peg goes in the hardy hole. Your workpiece goes in between the two rods and you hammer the top rod to create the fuller on both sides of the work piece. Measure the distance between the two rods to get a rough idea of how thick (or wide) the work piece should be to use this particular tool. Ideally, the work piece should be no more or less than 25% of that distance.

In other words, if the distance as it is now is about 1 inch, this fuller is intended for workpieces between 3/4" and 1-1/4 inch. Wider or narrower stock will make the top fuller hit the work piece at an angle rather than mostly straight down. Is that really a problem? well, it means you have to turn the piece around to even out the fuller and you always run the risk of bending the top rod and ruining the tool.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 18/03/2021 10:45 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies and refreshing my memory. Thats exactly what it is.

Posted : 19/03/2021 1:51 pm
Share: