Notifications
Clear all

Ron Kinyon Simple Air Hammer

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I apologize if this topic has already been addressed, but my searching of the forum has not produced many results.

Recently I purchased a secondhand Simple Air Hammer that was built using Ron Kinyon's plans that were printed by ABANA.  In the book that I received with the hammer it describes that I will need a 3-5HP air compressor that produces around 17 SCFM at 100PSI.  While there are air compressors that meet these specs available for purchase, I'm not sure if I can get away with less SCFM or if 17 is the minimum and I should get one that produces more.

I understand that compressor size is based on the size of of the air cylinder, and I believe that the one installed on my hammer is a 1.50", but I cannot confirm.  The Parker Model Number is 01.50 CC2ANU13AC 18.500, but when I attempted to look it up on Parker's website, it could not find the model number.

My question is this, is there anyone using a similar Ron Kinyon style air hammer, and if so, what size/HP/CFM air compressor are you using?  Should I find one that meets the 17 SCFM requirement that's mentioned in the book or should I look for a larger SCFM compressor?

Thank you for your help!

Adam Keehan

Posted : 31/07/2021 1:37 pm
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Ron Kinyon (and his hammers) are something of a local legend and hero around my neck of the woods. Ron is still an active member of the Arizona Artist Blacksmiths Assoc. You can probably reach out to someone on the BOD of AABA through the website.

Many of the members have one of Ron's hammers or have built one per the plans. They might even be able to get you Ron's phone number.

Officers & Directors – Arizona Artist Blacksmith Association (azblacksmiths.org)

I'd start with either Steve Miller or Bill Ganoe

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 31/07/2021 9:03 pm
Topic starter

Sir,

Thank you for the insight, I'll reach out to the AABA and see what I can find out. 

Thanks again,

Adam

Posted : 31/07/2021 10:10 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Hi Adam,

Another resource would be Paul Branch from Wisconsin. He is the guy responsible for making the project plans and giving them to ABANA. He is a great guy to talk with and always willing to share his knowledge. If you don't see any contact info for Paul in the hammer plans send me an email, I can get you guys in contact.

Best of Luck

Geno Madden

[email protected]

Posted : 31/07/2021 10:33 pm
Share: