Notifications
Clear all

Small Wheel Attachment

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I'm a firm believer in having the appropriate tools for the job, however I don't want to have tools just to have them if something else will do the job. With that being said, how often do you use a small wheel attachment? What do you use it for most? Are there sizes that you recommend?

Thanks,

Travis

Posted : 16/04/2020 3:54 pm
Joshua States

I use my small wheel attachment a lot. I have the KMG and I purchased the small wheel set up that Beaumont makes. I also made myself a small wheel attachment for my KMG that accepts the Bader style small wheels so I can use them as well.

The KMG small wheels have bearings at the ends of the rollers. The Bader style has a central axle with bearings internal to the roller. There are some things that you just cannot get on the KMG wheels because the bearings get in the way

I can also put a piece of 1/8" steel rod in the homemade one and wrap a J-weight belt over it for setting grooves in spacers.

I use the small wheels for shaping handles mostly. Finger grooves and general small curves on parts.

I have a variety of different wheels. The first thing I would suggest is replacing the upper 2 inch roller on your platen rig with a 2 inch contact wheel. Very handy to have that accessible at a moment's notice.

For small wheels I have 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". I really need to get a 1 inch wheel. Thanks for reminding me.

I also have 3", 4", 5", 8" and 10" wheels.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:41 pm
Karl B. Andersen

You can't have too many.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 17/04/2020 7:16 am
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I'm going to try to pick up a few.

Posted : 19/04/2020 10:26 pm
Share: