Notifications
Clear all

Would someone please recommend some great files for finish work?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello,

I pick files at flea markets for fun. I found a batch of these really nice USA safety files. They're about a half inch wide, 8th inch thick, and 9 inches long or so, with a safety edge on one side.

They're very fine, and leave a really decent finish for sanding cleanup. 

I want more. I want a whole set. I love these things. But I can't find them haha. I don't want a set of needle files, and that's all that seems to come up when I search for fine finish files.

Would some of you guys please weigh in on your favorite files for finish work and where I can find them?

The files I have look like they say "Hiller USA Cut2", which I can't find haha.

Thanks,

Nick

Posted : 20/05/2022 10:27 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I believe that is a Heller file.  I have several that I love but they are about at the end of their life. I found that the company closed in 2006.  I also have several Nicholson files similar to what you describe.  The best place to buy them is estate sales and online auctions.  I won a box last year for $10 that had about 50 high quality files that were in excellent shape.

Posted : 20/05/2022 4:12 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Nicholas. Check out jewelry supply sites such as Riogrande or Gesswein. I like Grobet , Dick, and Vallorbe files. I have a set of valitan files by Grobet made for filing platinum. They are not cheap, but they are fantastic files and leave about a 220 grit finish.

Brion

Posted : 20/05/2022 9:17 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

sounds like those were/are Swiss cut files likely a pillar or flat file. the number 2 cut should leave a finish around 220grit. you can get swiss cut fro 000 (extra course) to 6 cut i think (like glass) I have several 2 and 4 cut files those are amazing. my personal fav is a half round #2 cut. I normally order from either gesswien or Otto Frie.

MP

Posted : 21/05/2022 7:41 am
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Much appreciated guys. I found a Grobet distributer at contenti.com.

I got a pile of them comin

Posted : 21/05/2022 11:57 am
Share: