Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Fighter--- War (2016/12/6)

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
17.4 K Views
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Jason,

Thank you for sharing your process with all of the photos. A photo is worth a thousand words and I learned a lot just by seeing the photos. Your work is very clean and balanced, and your leatherwork is beautiful as well.

You should not feel bad about emulating (copying) other people's work. We all do it to some degree or another, even the top knife makers are learning from others.

I really like your curved plunge lines--I might try that sometime. I don't see that very often--most people use a file guide and/or a flat platen to cut in their plunge lines, but you use a disc sander.

Did you use clay on the blade or another method to get the hardening line (hamon)?

Steve

Posted : 06/12/2016 4:46 pm
Thaddeus Stager
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Amazing work Jason, thanks for sharing!!

Posted : 06/12/2016 8:46 pm
BrionTomberlin

Jason, that looks great! I would call it your version of a certain style of knife. Excellent work and thank you for the progress pictures.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 06/12/2016 9:53 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

very good work. I love the head knife as well, was that for you or some one else?

MP

Posted : 07/12/2016 8:18 am
Joshua States

Beautiful work Jason. No apologies needed.

via Google translate:

道歉不需要

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/12/2016 10:45 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Jason, absolutly great post. Absolutly great knife!! congratulations!

Posted : 23/01/2017 2:03 pm

Awesome knife. Did you do all of your grinding on the disk? In post #5 what are the 2 tools called you are holding? Looks like they are for shaping the hole for the tang. Thanks in advance?

Posted : 10/02/2017 11:27 pm
New Member Guest

Brian, welcome to the ABS and the ABS forums. I can't answer the question about how Jason ground the blade but the tools in question are broaches. Jason's look like good ones too. They sure make handle fit up nice in block handle construction. Good questions and I hope Jason will see your post and reply about the grinds.

Chris

Posted : 11/02/2017 10:38 am

Thanks Chris. I am just getting into blade smithing. Trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible.

Posted : 11/02/2017 2:25 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Jason, I love to see your posts. Your work is very clean including your leather work and the round knife. Good stuff!

Posted : 18/02/2017 1:18 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: