Notifications
Clear all

Introduction To Bladesmithing Class Questions

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I have signed up for the intro to bladesmithing class and was wondering what I should bring, expect, etc. The class I have signed up for is at Haywood, not sure if that makes a difference. Also I will be there for the symposium preceding it, what do people bring to that?

Posted : 23/02/2011 7:43 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Ryan. Check out the section here entitled "preparing for class" It is one of the threads under this topic. Some really good information. From my experience, just some things. Gloves, at least two pair, preferably more. A forging apron of some sort. If you have a favorite hammer, bring it. You will have access to hammers and tongs and tools, but if you have a favorite one. No nylon clothes or anything like it, stuff melts when hit by sparks or scale. Pain reliever, such as tylenol, aspirin, etc. You will need it at least the first couple of days. An open mind, absorb everything you see and concentrate on getting two or three really good blades, not twenty or so. Lastly enjoy yourself. You have two really good instructors in Greg Neely and Jim Rodebaugh. As for the symposium, just bring yourself and attend the seminars, at least as many as you can. I would think especially the handles and guards, maybe JS and MS judging, just as a start. Also talk to the instructors. Use this as an opportunity to get to know your instructors and your fellow ABS members. Lastly remeber there are no stupid questions, you cannot learn anything if you do not ask. Good luck and enjoy.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 24/02/2011 12:07 am
Lin Rhea

Bring a drawing pad, pencils, and an eraser.

If you have a tendonitis flare ups, bring your preventatives for that.

Good boots/shoes.

Business cards or some means of passing on your contact to knewly forged friends.

Camera and batteries.

I have to second Brions advice. Please make fewer, but better blades. Spend the time on each blade to get it as close as you can. Otherwise you'll take a sackfull of blades home you wont be able to use.

Enjoy!

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 24/02/2011 1:33 pm
Greg Neely
Eminent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

|quoted:

I have signed up for the intro to bladesmithing class and was wondering what I should bring, expect, etc. The class I have signed up for is at Haywood, not sure if that makes a difference. Also I will be there for the symposium preceding it, what do people bring to that?

I'll have to say Lin and Brion pretty well have you covered. The gloves and leather apron are a must, and a respirator or at least dust filter masks as well. The leather gloves can be as cheap as you like, as we'll probably ruin a pair or two at the grinder. I like to wear a welding glove on the hand that holds the steel, while I wear the cheapest leather gloves I can find during grinding sessions.

You've gotten good advice....we will ask that you do a good job on each blade you begin. We want you to learn as well as you can, not accumulate as much steel as you can.

Above all, have fun.

As to the Hammer-In, most folks wear comfortable clothes and bring a notebook, camera, or video camera. Relax, learn, and enjoy yourself.

Glad to see you in the class, and we'll see you soon.

Posted : 25/02/2011 2:23 am
New Member Guest

I was thinking about buying and bringing some handle materials that I like but think might be harder to work with than wood such as; inlace acrylester, water buffalo horn, so I can benefit from the experience of the instructors in working the exotic stuff. As for the number of blades I am going to focus more on trying to do 2 or three very different blades that cover a wide range of fitting styles, I'm more interested in learning precise technique than collecting a plethora of blades. I already went through the "Oooh what else can I make" phase over the past few months. Now I want to focus on fit and finish, heat treat, straightness, squareness, and other brain picking. I have been doing some research on different fitting styles and shapes and am In the process of sketching some blades that encompass a variety of styles and techniques to work on at the class.

Posted : 26/02/2011 10:23 am
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Unless your instructor does things a lot differently than mine did and if you are taking just the intro to bladesmithing course I doubt that you will be working on any handles. However, they will talk about handles when discussing knife design. And, if you have questions about working different materials you can probably just ask about it without having any on hand.

Posted : 27/02/2011 1:35 am
New Member Guest

oh, so It's just forging, heat-treat, grinding, and polishing? I thought we were going to be completing knives start to finish.

Posted : 27/02/2011 7:16 am
BrionTomberlin

Hello Ryan. As Allen stated this two week course is primarily about learning to forge and grind, then heat treat your blades. Also to enable you to make a blade that will pass the JS performance standards. For the handle part that will be in the Handles and Guards class, at the end of that class you should have two to three completed knives. Have a good day.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 27/02/2011 4:50 pm
New Member Guest

I would like to add to this discussion that there is no need to draw knives to make in the class because the style of knives made are part of the syllabus for this class. Also, Haywood is close to Kayne and sons, a blacksmithing supply house which has a lot of smithing equipment, so people planning to take the class that don't already have nice equipment such as decent blacksmithing hammers, tongs, etc. might want to consider that in their budget when coming to the class so they can upgrade or purchase new gear. I bought some of these things and the instructors where able to go with the students after class to give advice about whats good gear, whats not suitable, etc. I love my new hammer and it works so much better than my hardware store blacksmith hammer.

Posted : 10/03/2011 10:08 pm
New Member Guest

Probably the most important thing to bring to this class is an empty cup, philosophically speaking. If you go to the class wanting to bring home anything but knowledge you are missing the point, which is to learn how to do quality work not bring home completed knives. You may bring home some nice blades and you may not but you should leave with a lot more knowledge. I have been in the class for 4 days now and I learned more about bladesmithing in the first 2 days than I did in 4 months of working on my own, googling the internet, and watching idiots on youtube.

Posted : 10/03/2011 10:23 pm
Lin Rhea

This is just a thought for general consumption in regards to taking the intro class.

Listen to and watch your instructor.

Your first blade, in essence, is the very beginning of your developing forging and grinding habits. To develope good habits and master the techniques takes time. So, here's the point. Take your time and do as good as you possibly can, even if you only get one blade done. But do that blade right. Your "vision" is also developing and it will catch you when you start to do something wrong. But you have to get in the habit of doing it right first, then you will get faster and turn out more good work.

In my view, it's better to make one knife really good than to make 10 that are just so so. I'm not meaning fancy. I'm mean technical stuff, like straight, good fit, and finish. These habits will enable you to move on to other styles later with confidence you can do any and all of it.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 11/03/2011 12:07 pm

Hi All.

Ill be taking the Texarkana introduction class later this year and any questions i had are already answered in this thread.

Great replies folks !!Ill be coming from abroad (the Netherlands) and wont have transportation, is there any lodging within walking distance from the school or is renting a car my best bet ?

Thanks in advance,

Anton

Posted : 14/04/2011 9:06 pm
Admin_DJC305

Anton:

Welcome to the American Bladesmith Society as a new member and to the ABS Forum! I will have someone in the area of the School answer your question on lodging.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 14/04/2011 9:40 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Anton. There is the bunkhouse in Old Washington which you can stay at. Very much within walking distance. Also you usually can catch a ride with one of the instructors if you ask them beforehand. That would be from Hope, Arkansas, eight miles south. I am sure that things can be arranged.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 14/04/2011 10:45 pm

Thx Brion,

Ill keep it mind.

I dont mind renting a car if need be but it kinds feels like a waste if it sits in front the school all day.

Id rather give someone who offers me a ride a beer or two.

Great info, thx again.

Respect,

Anton

Posted : 15/04/2011 1:20 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: