Notifications
Clear all

Heat Treat Oven

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Here is a heat treat oven that I am working on. Thank's for looking.

Attached files

Posted : 18/01/2018 1:19 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Here is a heat treat oven that I am working on. Thank's for looking.

Where would be the best place for the thermocouple? Thanks

Posted : 18/01/2018 8:49 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Brian

I built a heat treat oven very similar to the one you are building. the door swings to the side on mine, I did not like the idea of reaching across the hot door.

My research showed to put the thermocouple in the top, centered front to back. It only needs to extend about 3/4 of an inch into the heat chamber.

I also lined my oven with a one inch layer of the ceramic blanket before I set the fire brick in. I also cut my fire brick to have a lap type joint to prevent any heat from escaping through

a straight seam in the brick.

I used a PID form Auber instuments, and the heating element I bought from Duralite Inc.

I hope this will help you some.

Anthony

Posted : 18/01/2018 10:15 am
Topic starter

Thanks Anthony. I have already bought my element. I just need to buy the electronics. Here are a couple more pics. I only got to work on it for an hour or so. What mortar did you use to bond your bricks together? I saw some post where some people were using something in a caulk tube. but I am wondering if it will hold up to the heat. What did you use?

Attached files

Posted : 18/01/2018 9:27 pm

Brian

I cut the sides of the fire brick to have a lap joint. That way the brick did not have a 90° joint when the brick fit together and there was no need for any type mortar.

With the ceramic insulation I used on the outside between the fire brick and the sides of the steel box/frame everything was held together with a tight fit. I have used the

oven about two years now and everything has stayed tight with no problems.

Anthony

Posted : 19/01/2018 9:21 am
Topic starter

Thanks Anthony. Mine fits up really square and tight with the insulation on the sides and top.I am not gonna use any mortar. I think it will be better if I have to disassemble it to repair it. Here are a couple more pics

Attached files

Posted : 19/01/2018 11:24 pm
Topic starter

Here are a couple more pics. I added a removable lid

Attached files

Posted : 20/01/2018 2:45 am

Brian

That is one of the reasons I did not use mortar. I also used fire brick in the door and made a seal from the high temp ceramic rope that is used on stoves to keep heat in and oxygen out

as much as possible. Looks like you are doing a neat job.

Anthony

Posted : 20/01/2018 7:59 am
Topic starter

I had this whole plan to use firebrick in the door. But I really think I way I put the insulation in the door will make a really nice seal. I also have some Metrikote 90 I am gonna put a light coat over the Insulation on the door and the firebrick. It is like itc-100. I like try to keep things as simple as possible. I plan on cutting my grooves for the elements today. And get them installed. I am gonna paint it with some red caliper paint. I am tired of black and grey tools.

Posted : 20/01/2018 10:34 am

Brian

I hope your oven works as well as mine has, I do not see any reason that it should not. Good luck in all that you do.

Anthony

Posted : 21/01/2018 9:19 am
Topic starter

Thanks Anthony

I have to go to work. But I a gonna order what I need to finish it up. I will post some pics of it finished up.

Posted : 21/01/2018 5:55 pm
Share: