is there a cheaper ...

Notifications
Clear all

is there a cheaper equivalant to Werkstoff 1.2210/Pops silver steel?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Well, I am working on my second blade made from pops silver steel/Werkstoff 1.2210. I really like this stuff and am wondering if there is a more affordable equivalent I can get. 

Posted : 06/04/2024 1:32 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

sorry i forgot to subscribe

Posted : 06/04/2024 1:32 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

I just realized a very KISS way is very easy to keep your oil away from your forge when not using it. Put handles on your quench tank and move it closer when you need to use it. I have about 10 gallons of parks 50 in my primary tank its heavy but manageable.

Posted : 06/04/2024 2:16 pm

A couple of thoughts for you. First I make mostly chef knives and out of a 39 inch bar at $50 bucks if shipping is $25 I could probably forge 8 integral chef knives. That would be under $10 per knife, I'm ok with that my handle material will probably be at least $40. Another thought is that, I like to limit the number of steels I use, so I can learn them especially if you are heat treating out of the forge. Final thought is that steel should be looked at as a per knife price. My worst so far has been Apex ultra. I made it into San mai to get more out of it. 

10 gallons of Parks is a lot. I use about 2 or 3 gallons in my tanks I've never had a problem with up to 4 blades. My worry would be if I contaminated the oil. Moving it around, my shop is small is another consideration. 

If you like the steel stick with it. 

Gilbert 

Posted : 07/04/2024 4:46 pm

It sure would be nice to be able to edit your post?

Posted : 07/04/2024 4:50 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

Posted by: Gilbert Mccann

If you like the steel stick with it. 

thanks, I like it, but I am still on my first bar. I think I have half of it left and have made 3 knives out of it... I also just like trying new steels...and I am just wondering if there is an ASIS/SAE equivalent to it. 

Posted by: Gilbert Mccann

10 gallons of Parks is a lot. I use about 2 or 3 gallons in my tanks I've never had a problem with up to 4 blades.

it's more that the quench tank I use requires 10 gallons to get full immersion of a blade without hitting the bottom as I use a 9.5 x 15 x 30.5 in steel tub as a quench tank as I prefer a horizontal qunch tank and (keep it covered with a piece of cardboard and an old plastic lid)...I actually had 6 in my old quench tank and had 4 gallons laying around. I like horizontal quench tanks because you can immerse the blade evenly and there is less flashing of your oil...but the downside is you need more oil for them.

Posted : 07/04/2024 5:42 pm
Share: