Clear all

Jigs And Fixtures

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
12.1 K Views
BrionTomberlin
Topic starter

This starts our second discussion topic for the month of March. It is jigs and fixtures. The little things and pieces of equipment we shop make to help us in our knife making. Show us what you have in your shop. I know Steve Culver has a number of them and I have a few which I will post as the discussion goes on. So any questions or examples are welcome. I am sure we will all find something we did not even think about. Lets get it started. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 28/02/2011 12:07 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Hi,

I will try to post pics, before writing text, to see if I'm doing this right.

Dan

Attached files

Posted : 10/03/2011 9:36 am

OK, it worked. I'm sure most makers have some type of jig for drlling handle material that does not have parallel faces. This is what I use for thin material. I have a taller one for thicker mat.

You just have to make sure the bottom side is parallel with the bottom of the legs, and you will get nice perpendicular holes. A thin piece of leather between the handle material and the tightening plate is used if needed.

Hope someone can use the info. Dan

Posted : 10/03/2011 9:48 am
Dale Huckabee

Dan, thanks for posting the jig. I've seen several variations, but you's is, I believe, the simples, most straight forward design I've seen. I'll be making one like that first chance I get.

Thanks again.

Dale

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 10/03/2011 7:29 pm
Rick Baum

That's a pretty slick little device Dan. I'll be making one myself. Thanks for sharing.

Now, I have a couple of, what I consider basic and essential, devices for knife making.

The first is a file guide. I made this one in a less than 2 hours. There's definitely nicer ones out there but it's functional and it only cost me $2.00 to make it.

I learned about the second device from watching Bill Moran's video "The making of a knife". Is just a bolt that has been sharpened to a point. It's attached to my drill press table directly under the drill bit. For those that are new to drilling out handle material to accommodate a tang, you place one end of your material on the point and the drill bit will then drill directly to the point. Just set the depth of the bit for the length of your tang and you're good to go.

I know that neither is high tech but I couldn't get along without either of them.

Attached files

Posted : 10/03/2011 8:42 pm
Admin_DJC305

Dan and Rick

Thank you for your contributions to the Topic of the Month. This is exactly the kind of advice and photos that the Moderators and I were hoping for.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 11/03/2011 12:09 am
Rick Baum

No problem Dan! I know they are really low tech, but maybe they will come in handy for someone.

Here's another one that is probably the lowest tech fixture that I can think of. It's probably the most used fixture in my shop.

For those that are new to knife making and are limited in space or tools but have a vise, a piece of steel and some vise-grips it is invaluable for filing or sanding on the flats of the blade, or with care, it can be utilized to shape handles.

To use it, just clamp the steel plate horizontally in the vice jaws and then clamp the knife blank to the steel plate with a pair or two of vise-grips. I also use a piece of scrap leather to protect the portion of the blade or handle that is being clamped. This fixture and leather have been in use in my shop for over 11 years now and it's been used on every knife I've made. One of these days I'm going to make or buy one of those fancy knife making vises that can be twisted and turned in any direction, but until then this one gets me by.

Posted : 11/03/2011 3:43 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Thanks for all of the posts on this thread!

I figured that it was time for me to get busy and get some of my fixtures added. I have been working on a new page for my web site to display the stuff that I use in my shop. The easiest way for me to add to this thread on fixtures is to just attach the address to my web page. Culver Jigs & Fixtures

I'll be adding more to the page on my site soon. I'll repost to this tread when I have something new on my "Tutorials" page.

Posted : 12/03/2011 6:05 pm
Admin_DJC305

Steve:

I have seen the extensive collection of jigs and fixtures in your shop and attended your lecture at the ABS Heartland Hammer-In on Jigs and Fixtures. I am sure that our ABS members will appreciate the information that you are providing to them. I just want to list the jigs and fixtures that are now on your website at Culver Tutorials Page

Clip Grinding Attachment

Integral Grinding Attachment

Fixture for milling tang mortises in handle material

Fixture for drilling precise vertical holes and holding parts for milling

Fixture with standard Dremel router base that has had a piece of Micarta added to it

Mandrel for shaping a San Francisco style handle frame

Thank you Steve!

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 12/03/2011 7:17 pm
Steve Culver

LOL!! Thanks Dan. Why didn't I think of providing a list?????

Posted : 13/03/2011 10:11 am

Thanks everyone! Very good stuff. Dan

Posted : 15/03/2011 9:07 am
Admin_DJC305

Mastersmith Hanford Miller demonstrating his Leveling Table Jig

Mastersmith Hanford Miller demonstrated the use of his Leveling Table Jig at the ABS Hammer-In in Dubois, Wyoming in July 2008 which was the Silver Anniverary of the first ABS Hammer-In which was also held in Dubois, Wyoming. Hanford Miller has been a Mastersmith in the American Bladesmith Society since 1986. This video clip was filmed during Mastersmith Miller’s presentation on "Knife Jigs and Fixtures".

CLICK the arrow sign to view the video clip below.

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K1miCYvopxI [/media]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 15/03/2011 9:21 pm
Steve Culver

I've added some more stuff to my web site. I made a whole 'nother page just for jigs and fixtures. Most of what I added today are things that I have built for use on the KMG grinder.

Culver Jigs & Fixtures

Posted : 20/03/2011 6:22 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

|quoted:

I've added some more stuff to my web site. I made a whole 'nother page just for jigs and fixtures. Most of what I added today are things that I have built for use on the KMG grinder.

Culver Jigs & Fixtures

That is some good stuff there!

Posted : 20/03/2011 10:42 pm

I take off the rubber bumpers, and screw these on, to hold a guard. This little jig self adjusts as it tightens inside the gaurd. Easy to make. A good starting point for other variations. Dan

Attached files

Posted : 22/03/2011 2:22 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: