Notifications
Clear all

3Rd Heartland Bladesmithing Symposium & Knife Show

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
11.2 K Views
New Member Guest

Don't worry Mike, I'll try not to mess up your shop too bad while you are gone for the weekend!

Posted : 04/10/2012 4:29 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

We had some outstanding demonstrations today at the Heartland Hammer-In. Photos and video of the demonstration highlights will be posted later.

The Cutting Demonstration was held this evening and there were many challenging events for the contestants. The winners were:

First Place - Paul Widenhoefer

Second Place - Ray Kirk

Third Place - Brad Green

Congratulations!

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 07/10/2012 1:04 am
Jim Crowell
Active Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Congratulations Guys. Looks like some mighty fine stuffed stuff.

Not sure what Brad and Ray have. Paul and Ray might be a bit more gentle with their furry friends.

Saw Brion do the clay in Branson and it was great. Aldo is always a treat.

Posted : 07/10/2012 7:25 am
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

I have attended all of the Heartland events and can say that Steve is a wonderful host and always puts on a quality event. If any of you haven't attended then I can recommend it as one not to miss. Lots of great info exchanged and always fun.

Gary

Posted : 09/10/2012 1:11 pm
New Member Guest

My first one and it was excellent. My only complaint is that you can't be two places at once to hear both speakers. I can't figure out how to post the photos I took here so I'm mailing to Webmaster Dan....

Definitely worth the drive.

Posted : 10/10/2012 8:52 am
BrionTomberlin

Definitely a big thank you to Steve, the ABS, and the Kansas knifemakers. It was a good weekend and well worth attending. I am looking forward to next year. I also want to thank Dan Stumpf, the instructor at the welding shop for doing a great job and putting up with all of us.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:53 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Thanks for all of the compliments and to all who attended!!

A special thanks to all of our demonstrators and to the WIT staff. Dan Stumpf, the Welding Shop instructor works his tail off for us. He definitely deserves our gratitude!

One of the most difficult things for a Symposium coordinator, is figuring out what demos to have. If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see at future Heartland Symposiums, please let me know.

Thanks again to all who attended and helped put this Symposium on. Hope to see you all next year!!!

Posted : 10/10/2012 3:37 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

|quoted:

I also want to thank Dan, the instructor at the welding shop for doing a great job and putting up with all of us.

Brion

+1. Dan Stumpf took a lot of his personal time to accommodate all of us. WELL DONE!

Gary

Posted : 10/10/2012 5:32 pm
New Member Guest

Some photos of the event, with help from Mr. Culver on posting them...

Mr. Dave Sloan and the coveted 1 pound Littlest Giant hammer.

The respected Mr. Tomberlin explains about hamons

The organizer, Mr. Culver, dry welds during his forge welding demo.

As Mr. Culver hold the jig, Mr. Kirk hammers on an integral blade during the unscheduled lunch time demo.

Mr. Williams explains the use of cork and leather belts in finishing.

Posted : 11/10/2012 1:27 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

There were some great demonstrations at the Heartland Hammer-In this year and below are some video highlights that I have uploaded to the ABS YouTube Channel:

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rRYvvlp9vqc [/media]

What to look for in a used Bridgeport type milling machine, and demonstration and discussion of the features in a Bridgeport type milling machine by Dale Schafer, Machine/Tool Technology Instructor at the Washburn Institute of Technology. This was one of the demonstrations at the 3rd Heartland Hammer-In in Topeka, Kansas sponsored by the American Bladesmith Society and hosted by the Kansas Custom Knife Makers Association.

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZW3KfSbtXn4 [/media]

Demonstration on the selection and use of milling vises by Dale Schafer, Machine/Tool Technology Instructor at the Washburn Institute of Technology.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 16/11/2012 7:07 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Steve Culver contacted TV Station Channel 13 WIBW in Topeka in an effort to have them promote the 2012 Heartland Hammer-In and this is the video that was filmed and aired during a newscast before the Hammer-In.

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qq2iHYIMuk&feature=plcp [/media]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 01/12/2012 9:34 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: