4Th New England Hammer-In

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

4th New England Hammer In

July 13 through 15, 2012

Offered by the American Bladesmith Society, Inc.

Hosted by the New England School of Metalwork

New England School of Metalwork

9 Albiston Way

Auburn, Maine 04210

Directions:

Google Maps

From the Maine Turnpike take the Auburn Exit # 75, formerly exit 12. At the end of the ramp at the traffic light turn left onto US-202 / Washington St. Drive approximately 4.8 miles on Washington Street. Take a right turn on Albiston Way (formerly Adams St.) The school is a glass faced building with a large ornate sign above.

Mace Vitale at 203-457-5591 or email [email protected] for more information

Registration Fee: $65

Pre-Register and pay the $65 Registration fee Online in the Store

or Cindy Sheely, ABS Office Manager at [email protected] or (419) 832-0400

DEMONSTRATORS:

James L. Batson, MS…………………..Bowie Knives

Joe Szilaski, MS………………………….Folding knives, Ax Forging, Metal Carving, File Work

Tim Potier, MS…………………………...JS Test Knives - start to finish and Checkering

Mace Vitale, JS…………………………..Grinding Handles and Brute de Forge Knives

Butch Sheely, JS…………………………Leather Sheaths

Zack Jonas, JS.........................Green Coal

Dave Sylvester, JS....................Green Coal

Dereck Glaser, NESM…………………Making Tongs

Howard Schechter, AP……………...Sharpening and Honing

Nick Rossi, NESM....................Green Coal

Schedule:

Thursday

Registration and sign in 3-6pm

Demonstrators dinner 6:30 at Gippers Sports Grill, 120 Center Street Auburn, ME 04210 - Everyone invited to join us!

Friday

8-10am

Shop: Tim Potier, MS.....Forging J.S test blade

Classroom: Joe Szilaski, MS.....Folding knives

Green coal: Nick Rossi....Hands On Knife Forging

10-12

Shop: Joe Szilaski.......Axe Forging

Classroom: Jim Batson........Bowie Knives

Green Coal: Dave Sylvester, JS......Hands On Knife Forging

12-1 Lunch

1-3

Shop: Tim Potier, MS..... Grinding JS test blade

Classroom: Joe Szlaski, MS...... Metal carving

Green coal: Zack Jonas, JS.......Hands On Knife Forging

3-5

Shop: Dereck Glaser..... Making Bladesmithing tongs

Classroom: Butch Sheely, JS......Leather Sheaths

Green coal: Herb Kettel.......Hands On Blade Forging

5-7 Dinner (on your own)

7-9 Battle of the Bladesmiths - Contestants to be Announced

Saturday

8-10

Shop: Tim Potier, MS..........Heat treat of JS test blade

Classroom: Joe Szilaski, MS...........File work

Green coal: Dave Sylvester, JS........Hands On Blade Forging

10-12

Shop: Mace Vitale, JS................Grinding Knife Handles

Classroom: Howard Schechter, AP..........Sharpening and honing

Green coal: Zack Jonas, JS.................Hands On Blade Forging

12-1 lunch

1-3 Knife Show....open to the public and Free

3-5 Auction........open to the public (PLEASE bring items to donate to the auction! This is one of the ways we are able to bring these great artists to teach you)

5-7 LOBSTER BAKE on site! $20.- Gets you lobster, steamers, corn, and potato. PLEASE register for lobster bake by Friday noon of event!

7-9 Cutting Demonstration!!!!!!!

Sunday

8-10

Shop: Mace Vitale, JS..... Brute de forge

Classroom: Tim Potier, MS.......Checkering

10-12 Round table - All Attendees

Accommodations:

The Fireside Inn, 207-777-1777, 2 double beds, $99 plus tax, Washington St, Auburn, ME.

Ramada Inn, 207-784-2331. 2 double beds, $89, 490 Pleasant St., Lewiston, ME

Cutting Demonstration:

Participate in the Cutting Demonstrations. Bring a sharp knife, 15” or less in length

with a blade no longer than 10”. The handle should be pinned & with a safety lanyard.

Please Pre-Register

Please send your $65 Pre-Registration Fee in early and plan to attend Demonstrators Dinner

Please mail registration form & check to the ABS office

or Online on the ABS website.

Event Flyer and Registration Form:

Click: 2012 NEW ENGLAND FLYER FINAL -032912.pdf

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 02/04/2012 1:37 pm
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith

O.K. Everyone...here we go! This is the first hammer-in that I have had the chance to plan for the ABS and I feel like I've got a good one! I really hope to see some new faces there, so please tell your friends about it...and if you were on the fence about coming out to Maine this summer hop off and get out here! We are going to have a GREAT time! If anyone has any questions about the demos, the event, or the area please don't hesitate to ask.

This year we are having a lobster bake on Saturday night! If you plan on joining us for it please remember to sign up and pay by fri. noon so we can have an accurate count for the fish monger.

I would like to take this moment to ask for donations for the auction. Last year we had one of the BEST tables of auction goodies that I have ever seen and I would love to see that again! This is one of the ways we are able to bring these great artists together to share their knowledge with you. So please donate...no item is to small!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Mace

Posted : 03/04/2012 11:17 am
Active Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Hot diggity, looks like a great line up. I already have my schedule picked out. So much to do, so little time. Great variety. CLAMBAKE!!!! Now that's just plain genius.

Last years auction was great. "They" say you only regret the things you don't buy, damn I should have bought that chunk of bronze.

See ya there. Can't wait for July!!!!

Dave

Posted : 04/04/2012 6:20 pm

Any smiths interested in participating in the battle of the bladesmiths please contact me.

Thanks

Dave, That was one BIG chunk of bronze!!!

We have a donation already of a Japanese style forging hammer from my friend Sam Salvati!

Mace

Posted : 05/04/2012 4:08 pm
New Member Guest

Thanks for the heads up Mace! If everything works out, I plan on coming again (5,000 miles and a few months can sometimes be a pretty big distance to span predictibly though). I just happened to score some cool maple in NH for the auction last summer. Plus, I had thought I might go to the handle making class following the hammer-in. Since I wasn't able to attend the class, I just passed the handle material (I had brought all kinds of way too much stuff) on to the auction. I'll see what i can round up for this years spectacular event. The lobster bake sounds GREAT! Sounds like a GREAT line up of talent for the demonstrators/teachers. Having Joe Szilaski and Tim Potier and gang there will be way kewl!!! Thanks for your good work!

Posted : 06/04/2012 6:19 am
Jim Crowell
Active Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

I just got back from teaching a two week introduction to Bladesmithing course at NESM. It was GREAT!! Dereck Glaser, the administrator, is a master blacksmith and Nick Rossi, his apprentice, is an accomplished smith and both make knives. Nick had some really cool knives in progress when I was there. These guys are there all the time, they are interested, knowledgeable and they care. There is a lot to be learned there and I am betting those who attend will have a great time. If you like seafood it is heaven. The Village Inn is just down the street and has great food. There are also several Thai restaurants close by.

Mace will will do a great job and there are some top notch instructors lined up. Be sure to check out Dereck Glaser's tong making demo. You should be able to make your own tools and forge more than blades.When you expand your repertoire it improves all facets of your work. Check out all the tongs and hammers etc. in the shop.

My teaching partner Tim Potier MS will be there and he knows his stuff so be sure to keep an eye on him as well. So many good demos.

Hope everyone has a good time and safe journey.

Jim Crowell

Posted : 13/04/2012 4:10 pm

Thanks for the post Jim!

I heard your class went great!

Just a reminder for those interested in coming....please register and book your lodging early. From what I understand there is a large festival a bit north of our event and rooms get snatched up fast.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

Mace

Posted : 15/04/2012 11:40 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Mace:

You have a great line up of demonstrators and classes at the well equipped NESM facility in Auburn for the July 13- 15 New England Hammer-In!

The Lobster Bake on Saturday sounds great!

I took the above photo of my lunch plate at a Belfast, Maine restaurant after the first New England Hammer-In at the New England School of Metalwork.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 15/04/2012 1:37 pm
Mike Williams

Mace;

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. Wish I was going to be there. I am on the schedule for the basic class in Nov.; looking forward to it.

Dan; in OK that thing would be considered some type of sea monster!

M

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 16/04/2012 6:05 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Mace Vitale who is the ABS Hammer-In Coordinator for the New England Hammer-In called me today and asked that I tell everyone that there will be a Silent Auction at the Hammer-In to benefit Jerry Dicecca's family. Master Smith Lin Rhea had Jerry as a student in a class at the NESM and has already generously donated a knife for the Silent Auction fundraiser. Mace is asking anyone that can donate a small item for the Silent Auction to contact him at [email protected]. You can also make a monetary donation by check or money order to the fund by contacting Cindy Sheely at the ABS Office at 419-832-0400 or [email protected] and even the smallest donation would be a big help and would be greatly appreciated.

This is a message to you from Mace Vitale about Jerry:

Hello Friends,

One of our own has fallen. Our friend Jerry DiCecca was overseas working and was killed in a car accident. Jerry was a stand up guy...very interested in Bladesmithing and learning as much as he could. Jerry has been to all the New England hammer-ins and has taken many classes at the New England School of Metalwork. Jerry was interested in learning the ins and outs of knife smithing, but was also a collector. I just wanted to give you a little info on this big hearted man...he was one of us. My feeling is we are all family and family should help each other out. Jerry was in the country of Georgia and as of this writing has not been brought home yet. So much red tape and expense for a grieving wife and 2 daughters. So maybe we can make life a little easier for them...lets help bring Jerry home! I have some donations of a few "blacksmith knives" and am planning to do a silent auction at the New England hammer in this July. If you have something you would like to donate to this effort please let me know. Also...we are asking if you would like to make a monetary donation we would be very grateful.

Thank you for your time.

Please...lets bring Jerry home.

Mace

[email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 22/06/2012 12:35 am

Hey Everyone,

First...Thank you to those that have contacted me about donating something for the silent auction for Jerry. I know the family will appreciate your efforts!

I think one of the best ways to honor someone is to have a good time and enjoy our friends and our time together. That's why I'm looking forward to spending time with all of you at this years hammer-in. It's time to get excited! We have a GREAT event planned at a fantastic facility...so please come and join us!

I would love to hear from any of the demonstrators here...maybe describing what you will be doing...also if anyone has any questions they would like to ask maybe we can get some pre-hammer-in dialog going.

I might as well start off...I will be doing 2 demos over the weekend. Handle grinding and "brut de forge". In my grinding demo I'll be doing just that...grinding some handles to shape...I feel it's always a great thing when you can actually see someone doing the work so that is what I have tried to bring you this year. I will also go over fit up and broaching handles. If there is something you would like to see let me know.

Mace

Posted : 25/06/2012 6:26 pm

The Battle is heating up with some contestants talking some smack!

One says "The rest don't stand a chance!" another said..."I'm sooo fast, I'm gonna smoke their bacon!"..yet another says "I'm making a new Death hammer just for the event!"

YOU can be one of the lucky ones who can say you were there!

Come join us!!!

Mace

Posted : 28/06/2012 9:30 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Follow the ABS on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/abswebmaster/status/218584339397615616

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 29/06/2012 9:26 am

Gonna grab a few hours sleep and head out in the am. See you all there!

Mace

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:49 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

The activies for the 4th New England Hammer-In began early this morning and Cindy Sheely is handlling the registration table. Cindy reports an enthusiastic group of participants and some great demonstrations for opening day.

Nick Rossi, ABS apprentice won the battle of the bladesmiths. Master Smith Joe Szilaski finished in the least time and Nick was the people's choice. The competitors (and knives in order) were:

Nick Rossi

JD Smith

Zack Jonas

Christoph Deringer

Joe Szilaski

Below are some photos that Cindy took with her IPhone and emailed to me to share with you.

NESM Program Director Dereck Glaser demonstrating tool making techniques

--------------------------------------------

Butch Sheely in the Classroom

-------------------------------------------

Some very generous donations on the Auction Table

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 13/07/2012 7:21 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: