Notifications
Clear all

Ideas For Hammer-Ins

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
23.8 K Views
New Member Guest

As a relatively new to bladesmithing member, I would like to see grinding, hamons, and guards covered. I am leary of narrow tang knives and the handle-guard issue. I also plan to take the class in June at Haywood that covers Handles & Guards.

I will be there for the Hammer-In in March.

Posted : 04/02/2012 11:11 pm
Admin_DJC305

George:

Haywood CC is a great facility and the Hammer-In in March has an outstanding line-up of demonstrators. Just approach any of the demonstrators, Master Smiths, or Journeyman at the event and ask them to show you anything you need to know and ask them questions. The American Bladesmith Society is about education and the sharing of information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To every ABS member that has posted a request in this thread:

I sent the following email yesterday to all of the ABS Hammer-In Coordinators:

ABS Hammer-In Coordinators:

I know that you are in the process of planning your demonstrations for the 2012 Hammer-In season. Jim Batson asked me in June to create a “Suggestion Box” on the ABS Forum and one of the topics that our members posted and replied to was about what they wanted to see demonstrations on at upcoming ABS Hammer-Ins. I don’t know if you have had the opportunity to see their requests on the ABS Forum so I went in and created a list of the demonstrations requested in the “Suggestion Box” threads by our members below so that you are aware of them:

Hamons

Using computer software in Knife design

Quillon Daggers

Using mills and lathes

Heat treating and control through the entire blade making process

Take down knife construction

Do's and don'ts tips and tricks in using ivory for handles

Advanced sheaths -- throat and tip -- silver sheaths

Engraving

Handle carving

Dan Cassidy

Webmaster

American Bladesmith Society, Inc

[email protected]

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 05/02/2012 12:16 am
Eminent Member Journeyman Bladesmith

I don't think there are enough classes in the world to teach me everything I want to know, but my first choice would be mills and lathes.

Posted : 09/02/2012 2:35 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Hi Bill,

I'm working on arranging for demos on using machine shop tools for the next Heartland Bladesmithing Symposium. The demonstrator will be the Machine Shop Instructor of the Washburn Institute of Technology.

Posted : 09/02/2012 10:16 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: