Integral Knives For J.s. Presentation?

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Evan Cihak
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good morning gentlemen,

So, having recently passed my J.S. performance test, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to bring to Atlanta for my presentation knives. I've got some ideas, but one of the knives is an integral but I don't see anything specifically referencing those in the J.S. Testing guides. Can I get a little bit of help understanding if integral knives are acceptable for a J.S. presentation set?

Thank you all so much for the great advice!

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 28/01/2020 9:41 am
Karl B. Andersen

I am at a loss why I can not copy and paste that right now, but, since 2012, "..........all of the knives submitted must have guards/bolsters."

Go to the last sentence on this page:

http://www.americanb...on=pages&id=172

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 28/01/2020 4:33 pm
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

I am at a loss why I can not copy and paste that right now, but, since 2012, "..........all of the knives submitted must have guards/bolsters."

Go to the last sentence on this page:

http://www.americanb...on=pages&id=172

Thanks Karl-

The reason I ask is because of something Matt Parkinson said about his J.S. set:

|quoted:

My set had two knives with out "plunges" a integral and a chef. I considered the chef a bit of a risk so I made sure I had several in my set that showed I could do what was expected. I had three knives in my set that were the "ABS Style" as I saw it at the time.

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 28/01/2020 4:57 pm
Karl B. Andersen

All I can say is that they must have considered his tooling to have created a "bolster" in the blade in front of the handle. If that's NOT an individual piece. I really can't tell.

The second one down is definitely a bolster.

The idea at the JS level is to show that the maker CAN create all of these parts with dialed-in fit and finish.

I do not really know all the details about that middle one. And..........I'm not a judge that was on that panel and didn't see it.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 28/01/2020 7:30 pm
BrionTomberlin

As a judge Evan an integral would be fine and as a matter of fact an integral won the best JS submission award the last two years. I would probably do just one with the rest being regular guards or a bolster, and just one with bolsters. The main thing is that you are able to do them well.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 28/01/2020 10:30 pm
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

As a judge Evan an integral would be fine and as a matter of fact an integral won the best JS submission award the last two years. I would probably do just one with the rest being regular guards or a bolster, and just one with bolsters. The main thing is that you are able to do them well.

Brion

Thank you Brion and Karl for answering, I really appreciate it. I have at least one integral blade I'm considering for presentation in Atlanta, so knowing what's OK and what's not is huge for me.Thanks again guys.

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 29/01/2020 12:37 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I specifically asked about integrals, before submitting, and was told they were except-able as long as they met standard and were well executed. the thread should still be on here somewhere.

MP

Posted : 29/01/2020 8:15 am
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

I specifically asked about integrals, before submitting, and was told they were except-able as long as they met standard and were well executed. the thread should still be on here somewhere.

MP

Thanks Matthew, I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread. Maybe in the future editions of the ABS judging guidelines it'll be mentioned.

Much appreciated!

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 29/01/2020 1:43 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

As Brion referred to, Jackson Rumble won the Keesler award along with passing his JS. He had integrals in his set. His work is on Insta under Rumble knives. His presentation set is definitely worth a look.

Posted : 31/01/2020 6:37 am
Matthew Parkinson

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ipboard/index.php?/topic/2369-test-question/ when I asked in 2016

Posted : 31/01/2020 8:48 am
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

http://www.americanb...-test-question/ when I asked in 2016

Thanks Matt- That answers my question, and more than a few I hadn't thought to ask yet.

Who's awesome?

You're awesome.

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 31/01/2020 10:51 am
Matthew Parkinson

Thanks.. I think.. Best of luck!

Posted : 31/01/2020 10:34 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

Thanks Matt- That answers my question, and more than a few I hadn't thought to ask yet.

Who's awesome?

You're awesome.

Matt is awesome. I have verified this in person.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 01/02/2020 10:04 am
Evan Cihak
Topic starter

|quoted:

Matt is awesome. I have verified this in person.

Whoops- sorry Josh, I meant to give you a vote up, but I fat fingered it... My bad.

-Evan

Evan L. Cihak

Posted : 03/02/2020 9:46 am

One thing I would add...... When you get your knives completed, Get as many Master Smiths and Journeyman smiths to critic your knives before you go to Atlanta. This will save you a lot of heartache, and time to fix them before you go!

Posted : 03/02/2020 4:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: