Notifications
Clear all

Peening The Guard For A Tight Fit, Is It Acceptable For Journeyman Test?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello,

I like to peen the face of my bolsters on hidden tang knives for a perfectly tight fit on the ricasso. Is it acceptable to polish those up and leave them if they look nice, or do I have to erase them to pass an Journeyman's test? I rather like the look of it, but I don't see any clear rules on that.

Thanks,

Nick

Posted : 18/11/2017 7:25 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Best advice I got on doing my JS was , if it looks like you might be trying to hide something they judges will assume you are. I would flat the faces.

MP

Posted : 18/11/2017 8:25 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

You can peen, then grind flush, check the fit, peen closed any gaps, grind flush.

This will progressively get you to a place where the fit is tight.

But as I understand it the face or the bolster or guard along with all other furniture should be cleanly polished.

Posted : 19/11/2017 12:59 pm
Lin Rhea

Nicholas,

The guys have told you correctly. To leave marks on the face of a guard or bolster is not acceptable in the context of the test.

If the ricasso is flat and the fitting, whether a bolster or the guard slot, is flat/straight, it should fit and be tight. If not, there is another problem going on with your process. Try to approach the problem up front by concentrating on getting the blade ready to accept the fitting. That will likely make it MUCH easier.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 20/11/2017 11:08 am
Share: